Chapter 2

Louis is back on the evening shift and his fading dark circles are eternally grateful to his boss, who he's yet to see the last three days he's been back on his typical schedule which is another reason to rejoice. Not having a boss hovering over him lets him fully immerse himself in the day dream that he owns this building. The first thing he does in these fantasies is lets his employees lose the half ass formal wear uniform. He can get just as much done in a button down as he can in a t-shirt, and ties are not comfortable even when you know how to tie them properly.

His index finger slips under the band of the tie currently threatening to cut off his breathing. He props his phone between his cheek and shoulder as he tugs at it. He's just rehashed to Liam what he'd found while helping move Harry's things into his apartment.

"Dildos? Seriously, Louis why did you go snooping into the guy's things?" Liam scolds. Louis can hear him sigh and he can practically see Liam's fingers massaging his temples like a father dealing with his petulant son.

"I didn't snoop! Weren't you listening to me? The box fell open and the dildos and plugs fell out!" Louis cries out in retort. He cringes when he realizes how loudly he's discussing sex toys and his eyes dart around the lobby. He's safe seeing no one is around to report him to HR for possibly being a creep.

"Sure, it did," Liam replies sarcastically. He even has the nerve to add a snort of disbelief afterwards to grate Louis' nerves.

"It sure as fuck did, thank you very much. See how much easier things are when you just admit I'm right about things. Now pay attention to me! I haven't seen Harry leave the apartment once, or arrive for that matter. He moved in three days ago," Louis props his chin on his hand, resting his elbow on the desk, "I think he's a hermit. He's an old hermit with a plug up his arse."

"Louis! I don't need the visual. Maybe he's trying to get settled in. Ever thought about that? Most people stay in and get their packing done once they move to a new place. Not like you'd understand that since you still have boxes shoved in your closet from the day you moved in."

"Okay, okay. We're not talking about me, daddy. I-"

"I told you to cut the daddy shit," Liam interrupts. "It's weird!"

"My deepest apologies. Wouldn't want to hurt your fragile masculinity," Louis rolls his eyes even though no one is there to witness his finely mastered talent. He's perfected the art of eye rolling. "I was going to say you were right before you rudely interrupted me. Maybe I am being too judgy. I just don't like not knowing all my tenants." His eyes light up as a brilliant thought hits him. "Maybe I should ask him if he needs any help getting his stuff put away. That would give me a chance to take a look at the bloke."

"You mean a chance to be nosy again. Louis, leave that man alone. Don't do it."

"I'm doing it. See ya, Li," Louis ends the call and sits his phone down, blue eyes darting to the intercom system. He takes a deep breath to prepare himself. He's not nervous. Louis rarely gets nervous. With his short stint of acting in his theater class in school, he's built up a pretty good immunity to nerves. He lifts a dainty hand to his throat as he clears it and picks up the phone. He presses the button for the penthouse.

He bugs his eyes at the machine after thirty seconds of silence as if that will get him a response. He wonders if Harry somehow snuck out while he wasn't paying attention. Probably when he had that fifteen minute snooze. He curses himself for the first time ever for having a nap. He's just about to tap the button again to end the page when a deep voice erupts from the intercom nearly causing Louis to fall out of his plush leather chair. He has to grasp the arm rest to catch himself.

"Yes? Sorry about the wait. I was toweling off after my bubble bath. Which you didn't need to know. Sorry, again. I overshare sometimes," the man actually giggles next, a whimsical little sound that may or may not have Louis' eyes crinkling in the corners from smiling so hard, before the resonant low draw comes through the speaker again. "I'm rambling now. You buzzed me?"