Chapter 1: Self-Love

Don't ever criticize yourself. Don't go around all day long thinking, "I'm unattractive, I'm slow, I'm not as smart as my brother." God wasn't having a bad day when he made you... If you don't love yourself in the right way, you can't love your neighbors. You can't be as good as you are supposed to be. Stop worrying about what people thinks about you and start to focus on how you can make you better each day. The truth is, we can learn to be gentle, loving, and nurturing with ourselves. By not liking ourselves, we may be perpetuating the discounting, neglect, or abuse we received in childhood from the important people in our life. We have the power to stop the pattern. We can begin giving ourselves the loving, respectful treatment we deserve. Instead of criticizing ourselves, we can simply tell ourselves that we've done good enough. We can make a commitment to take good care of ourselves throughout the day.
We can start by recognizing that we're deserving of love and respect; the way to do that is to love others, and make them love us. Stop explaining and justifying yourself. When you make mistakes, let them go. We learn, we grow, and we learn some more. And through it all, we continue loving ourselves.