Chapter 14: Finding your purpose

It all started when I was around 13 years old. I knew that what I wanted to become wasn't what God wanted me to be. I dreamt so much of becoming an ophthalmologist so bad because I was always so intrigued by the science of the eyes. Sometimes I would even go on YouTube just to watch documentaries of doctors operating on the eye. I then realize after a while that it wasn't going to work and I would have to find something that I'm good at; that's how I was looking at it, but not knowing that what I was going to become was already there the minute I started high school. I would always write with such level of sophisticated knowledge having persons astonished about my writing skills. I didn't really take it as anything, for I thought that maybe they just liked how I actually write, and not what I'm really writing. At the age of 15 going into 9th grade, they normally start prepping us for CXC, (Caribbean Examinations Council.) In English class, we were required to write stories, summaries, essays etc, and I would always know exactly what to write about and how to formulate it properly to the way I was instructed. I would always be in class helping other students who didn't really knew how to do the work, or maybe they knew how, but some grammatical errors needed to be corrected. My teachers would be left in awe of the way I wrote; yet I would still think that maybe it's not what I was writing, but how I write. One day I was in my room and I decided that I wanted to write a poem, so I began to write. I didn't exactly know what I was actually writing about, but I was there writing and words were just articulating in my head. After I was through with the poem, I read it and it sounded really good... Well it was a love poem for those who are so anxious to know. I was so amazed at my own self. I realized that all these time everyone wasn't in love with the way I wrote, but actually what I was writing and how sensible and profound it sounded. From there I developed the capacity to write and speak fluently and not only did I write poems, but I started writing quotes and stories. I developed the love for writing and stick to it, for I was really good at it and in the process I was happy and really committed. I got inspired to start a motivational book at the age of 22 and I started working on it. Yeah, this very book that you're now reading. I knew it wouldn't be a bed of roses to just write a book, for I knew it was much more than that; I stayed motivated and committed to do what I'm good at and what I love. I wanted to help the world overcome their struggles in life with anything that they were going through and help them to remain motivated no matter how bad the situation is. I wanted to use the talent that God gave to me and inspire the world that they can do it, but you just have to find your purpose. You have to find that one thing that you're good at and stick to it regardless of the challenges that may arise. Sometimes it's not what you dream of doing that you actually would do, but it's what God ordained you to do in the beginning. Just like how I found my purpose, you could, too. You probably be thinking, how would I know when I find my purpose because I can be good at something and also love it, but it's not what I'm going to do in the future. Trust me, you will know. There is an extra amount of love that you will get when you find that purpose in life. You will give it your all and use it to inspire a lot of people. It all takes time though. Don't rush it, just know that it's there waiting for you and when you get there, nothing can stop you from making it happen.