Chapter 6: Stay focused

Successful people maintain a positive focus in life no matter what is going on around them. They stay focused on their past successes rather than their past failures, and on the next action steps they need to take to get them closer to the fulfillment of their goals rather than all the other distractions that life presents to them. Stay focused and remain positive. Do not try to look to another person for determination. Self-determination is the best way one will learn to be fully focused in life. When you are focused, it allows you to maintain a level of discipline in which it helps you to grow into the person you should be. There was a conversation between a young lady and myself sometime ago about being focused. She argued that being focused doesn't normally allows you to meet the goals and objectives that you want, because you can be focused and still fail to meet the goals that you so pursued. I said to her, Being focused means that you have clear goals and objectives and your work is dedicated to achieving those goals and objectives. When you are deciding what you are going to do in any given moment; you base your decision on how you can make the most progress towards your goals with the time and resources available. I nevertheless went on by saying, Being focused in the present moment means that you are solely focused on the one activity that you are trying to complete. Anything else is unimportant so you shut out all distractions and give your full and undivided attention to the task at hand. No matter how much you think the goal that you are trying to reach looks so far away, when you are focused enough, what seems to be two years, will hit you in less than a month.