Chapter 38: The importance of a friend

Most people oftentimes misunderstand the true importance of friendship. Friends aren't just people we see everyday and just say hey, how are you and bye. Friends are like your family. Someone you can rely on. Someone who is always there through thick and thin of your journey in life. Believe it or not, friends are one of the number one source in the process of your success. Well, at least true friends are. "Friends" who only criticize instead of motivate, aren't friends. They're more like persons who happens to know you. A friendship is a comfortable place to be ourselves. Often, our choice of friends will reflect the issues we're working on. Giving and receiving support will help both people grow. Friends are angels that God send along, they always stay beside you whenever things go wrong. Friends can challenge us, confuse us, and sometimes, we might wonder why we bother. But friendship is as important to our wellbeing as eating right and exercising. What's more, friendships help us grow through each year of our lives. The people we bring into our lives as friends will show us how to forgive, laugh, and make conversation. The basic components of any relationship, from our marriage to our coworkers, are all founded in friendship. We learn how to interact with people because of our friends, even the ones that are opposite from us or share a different worldview. We don't just talk with others but learn from them. We understand the process of meeting new acquaintances and finding out what makes them tick. These people help push us out of our comfort zones while still providing a safe emotional space for us to be totally ourselves. A true friend shares our joys and sorrows. The inevitable twists and turns of our lives down the long and winding road that represents our journey are made sweeter and more meaningful by the sharing and caring of a good friend. Rites of passage—marriage, births, deaths, or other important milestones—are marked and honored together. Cherish that/those good friend(s) you have. Don't wait until they're gone for you to show them how much you love and appreciates them.