SILVER AND GOLD • S. RODGERS

The little girl laughed loudly as she started climbing the tree, holding tightly on to the branches as her friend giggled with her

The little girl laughed loudly as she started climbing the tree, holding tightly on to the branches as her friend giggled with her. The little girl hung upside down while she looked over the little boy who was struggling to get up. He huffed out while he just stayed on the first branch. She smirked, going down a branch and allowing her brown hair to flow in the wind with her brown curls. Her jeans that she was wearing were dirty from the work she had to do over her family's farm and her boots were scuffed with a smear of dirt over her cheek.

"Why did you give up Steve?" She asked, the little boy laughing lightly while he looked to the grass with a blush over his cheeks.

"I just didn't want to fall in front of you." He told her sheepishly while she giggled.

"Come on Steve, you are my best friend. I've seen you fall plenty of times." She told him, hitting his shoulder with her own and she looked into his brown eyes.

"So, how is your maw?" He asked, the thick country accent ringing in her ears while she sighed, leaning against the trunk of the tree.

"Not so good. She had another dose of chemo." She muttered, fiddling with her fingers while the thought of her mother cause her to tense her muscles. "She can't even get out of bed. I tried making breakfast for her, but my dad kicked me out of the kitchen for burning the toast." She told her friend, the boy giggling at the thought.

"Well, you could never even bake cookies, Sam." He laughed while the girl rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." She muttered, looking back over the farm house and taking a moment to see a black van appear around the corner and move away.

She furrowed her eyebrows and when Steve got off the branch, she felt it jump. "Well, it's almost sunset. I probably should get going." He told the girl and she nods her head.

"Alright, see you tomorrow." She told him and smiled. He nods his head and gives the girl a hug as she got up off the branch.

She held him close, the boy's tanned arms wrapped around her body and she pulled away. "You be safe heading back up to the farm, Samantha." He told her while walking away and she laughed.

"I always am." She stated, walking off towards the blue house with a white picketed fence and a dog barking around the back yard.

The girl stopped when she was a man walking her way and she furrowed her eyebrows. "Are you okay, mister?" She asked, the man chuckling softly.

"Yeah, yeah, I just seemed to have no gas left in my car. Do you think you could help a guy out?" He asked, the girl stopping when she heard his accent, not used to outsiders from Georgia.

"Um, I'm sorry, but I think I should get my parents." She told the man, only then feeling pain shoot in her spine while she fell, no scream able to leave her mouth from the shock.

He tutted while stuffing his hands in his pockets while a man with a covered face walked in front of her. "I was afraid you would have said that." He stated while the girls eyes fluttered close and she became unconscious.

<><><>

The girl was locked away in a cell, her body draped on the cold stone floor while she felt her brain pound in her skull. The girl groaned, getting up and looking around the dark room when she felt something wet drop in her forehead. She looked up towards the ceiling while she tried blinking away her headache. She got up by pushing herself with her arms and she hissed, feeling her wrist being cut by something while she looked down, finding a plastic band.

She sat down, looking at the bracelet and furrowed her eyebrows when she read it. 'Experiment 34' was written in a cursive as she gasped in slight pain when a door opened,
pouring in a bright light and she covered her eyes.

"Ah, the girl is finally awake." The man mumbled, his voice gravely and she looked at the man with squinted eyes.

"What's going on? Who are you?" She asked, the man ignoring her while he started writing notes.

"Get her ready for her treatment. That means disinfected and a change of clothes." He told the assistant while the girl frowned, seeing the woman put in a key to unlock the cell.

"Wait, what are you going to do?" She asked, backing up against a bed while she stopped when her back hit it and the assistant grabbed her neck. "Get off me!" She yelled, trying to fight back, but she was only thirteen, what could she possibly do.

"Let's get started, Samantha." The doctor said, his round glasses shining in the head lamp. And for that night, it was filled with screams of pain.

<>•<>•<>•

Story number two! Hope you are all buckled and ready to go. Please leave a comment, vote, and follow! Thank you all so very much!

( Word Count 868 )

| Edited |