Come Together to Break Apart

A Few Days Later

Taraji left campus and went straight to work, she wasn't in the best mood after learning that Terry had to do a final assignment with Alicia. She wanted to stay to monitor the two, but she had to get to the boutique in order to relieve Tasha from her shift. She got in the car, digging through her glove box to find a stray blunt. She groaned when she couldn't find one. Her keys slid off her lap, down the side of the seat. She dropped her hands to get them, feeling a third of a blunt next to the keys. "YES!!!" She rejoiced.

She sparked it up and turned the radio on, feeling Mariah Carey's Vision of Love extra hard today. She puffed on the blunt, conpletely in her head as she made the drive to work. In the back of her head, she knew that Terry wouldn't do anything that would cause a rift between them again. The first time was enough. But as she continued to listen to the song and get high as a kite, she started to think otherwise. Her mind was fighting her better judgement. Before she knew it, she was at work, even angrier at Terry for accepting Alicia as his partner.

She looked at her eyes in the mirror, seeing the bloodshot color. She got the eyedrops out her purse, putting them in her eyes, then spraying perfurme. She saw a piece of gum and popped it in her mouth. As she walked in, she saw Tracie parking. After about 3 months of being on leave, she finally felt ready to come back to work. Taraji kept walking, focused on getting inside. She felt higher than she anticipated and she needed to dismiss Tasha without suspicion.

"Taraji wait up!" Tracie yelled. Taraji waved her off and walked into the store. She went to the back to clock in and grab a bottle of water. Cottonmouth had already hit her and she had to fix it. By the time she came out, Tasha was ringing up a customer while Tracie was assisting another. Taraji drank the remaining water, throwing the bottle away and going behind the counter. "Thank you. Have a good day," Tasha said to the customer, handing them the receipt. She turned to Taraji who was leaning over the counter.

"Don't forget to do Inventory before closing tonight. Ms. Jackie wants those numbers tomorrow. And try not to get the smell of the earth all over the clothes. You do know this is a CHILDREN'S store right?" She snapped at Taraji before walking around her to grab her purse. Taraji raised her eyebrow and pursed her lips. Tasha wasn't worth her time today, nor any other time. She was all bark and no bite. Taraji eyed her the whole time she gathered her things and walked out the store.

"You do know this is a children's store?" Taraji mocked her, moving over to help Tracie fold the messed up clothes. Tracie laughed out loud. "I'm just waiting until you beat her ass. I know it's coming. But why you walking into work smelling like a whole forest? What he do now?" Tracie inquired. Taraji gave her friend a side eye. "This nigga...hold on...Welcome to Jayla's Boutique. The spring dresses are on sale for 40% off. If you need any help, I'm Taraji," she greeted the new customers.

"This nigga did...what?" Tracie got her back on track. "You remember Alicia right?" Taraji asked, walking back to the counter. Trace hummed her response and kept straightening clothes. "So for their final assignment, he has to do a skit with someone of the opposite sex. This nigga is partners with the bitch!" Taraji somewhat shouted. Tracie looked at the customers who were still browsing. "Shhhh. He picked her?" Tracie asked a question that Taraji didn't even bother to ask.

"It doesn't matter, he still accepted her as a partner. He knows I hate her ass," Raji pointed out. Tracie looked at her friend with low eyes. Before she could answer, a tall handsome figure walked up to Taraji, ready to check out. "What's up Taraji? I didn't know you work in here," the chocolate man said in a smooth deep voice. "Deshawn. What brings you into here? You got kids?" She bluntly threw out. He gave a chuckle and licked his soft lips. "Nah, my little sister loves this store. She begged me to come buy her a new dress," he said, giving Taraji a sexy half cocked smile.