Part 11

Pakhi came home from college when she sniffed the rich aroma of various dishes being prepared. She wondered who was coming for dinner. She didn't recall her parents told about any guest visiting their house today for dinner. Curious she went into the kitchen to see her mother tasting the  mouth watering items prepared by their cook. She went near her and asked "What's the occasion today mom that you are preparing for so many delicious items to eat?" Anuradha smiled at her and replied "Arjun had come to Delhi. Karan called and informed that he will be coming over for dinner today so I am just preparing for his favorite items. You go and get changed and help me in setting up the table"

Colour drained from Pakhi's face hearing Arjun's name. Since last three years, she is been avoiding to meet him and whenever they met, she would always make sure to be as far away from him as possible. If he is in standing in one corner, she would be at the farthest corner from him. She still had not forgotten that horrible day when she saw him kissing another girl while she was still waiting for his answer to her proposal. He should at least have a decency to say no to her rather than having an affair with another girl and leaving her in his hopes.

She quickly excused herself and went to her room. She closed the door and collapsed on the floor crying. She thought him to be her prince charming and man of her dreams but he never thought of her beyound being his best friend's baby sister. She tried everything in her power for him to notice her but alas it was too late for her to realize that he was not interested in her. She chuckled sadly and wiped her tears with the back of her hands and stood up to have a shower and freshen up. After that fateful day, she decided to ignore him and any other boy interested in her and just concentrate in building her career. She was not going to repeat the same mistake of falling for the wrong person. Her heart still beats for him but now she is no more naive and stupid girl who is mad for Arjun. Her hatred for him has overpowered her love and she had made her heart as strong as stone. She had avoided him so far and would continue to do the same.

She had no interest in reconnecting with him. If she is just his best friend's sister for him then he too will be her brother's friend for her . Nothing more. She didn't want to meet him today or see his face and spoil her day so she needs to think something real fast to avoid attending today's dinner. After the shower, she got dressed in a pair of jeans and sweatshirt and went downstairs to find her mother.

Anuradha was setting the dinner plates when she saw Pakhi and frowned "Pakhi what took you so long to come downstairs? And I told you that Arjun is coming for dinner then why are you not dressed in your new clothes?Whenever any guest visits our home, you always wear your new clothes then why are you wearing these old clothes today?" Pakhi gave a small but innocent smile to her mother and said "Mom actually I got a call from Isha and she informed me that all of our friends are gathering at her home to finish off the assignment we have to submit by this weekend. So please can I go? I am working in a group project and it would be difficult to gather all the group members again some other day in this week so please can I stay with her for today night and get my assignment done?"

Anuradha scwoled at her "Pakhi Arjun is visiting after a long time. Just meet him before you leave. He and Karan would be coming only in an hour" Pakhi gulped hearing her mother. She needs to get away before Arjun comes "Mom all my friends have already gathered at Isha's home by now. If I will wait for another hour, I will probably be very late so apologize Arjun on my behalf and tell him that I will meet him some other time please" Anuradha huffed annoyingly and agreed. Pakhi kissed her mother's cheek and went in her room.

She called her friend Isha as soon as she came in her room "Hey Isha, are you free tonight?" She replied "Yes Pakhi I am actually alone for tonight. My parents have gone to gurgoan for attending a family function" Pakhi sequeled "Great can I come tonight for a night over and we both can work on our assignment and then watch a Netflix movie? What's say?" Isha replied "Sure come soon I will order a pizza for our dinner till you arrive. Bye. See ya!" Pakhi bid her goodbye and packed her bag for an overnight stay with her study material. She bid her goodbye to her parents who were sitting in the garden and waiting for Karan and Arjun's arrival and asked their driver to drive her to her friends home.

She breathed in relief when her car turned away from her home. Finally she again dodged meeting Arjun.

Karan and Arjun both reached at the same time. Seeing him standing near his car, Arjun went and gave a friendly hug to Karan "Long time we meet again buddy. How are you?" Karan smiled and started walking with him towards the main room "I am fine what about you? You don't visit me much these days?" Arjun gave him a sheepish smile and said "Actually you know I had quite a lot on my plate these last few years so couldn't come and meet you often" Karan knew about his life and nodded knowingly. Arjun spotted Sanjay and Anuradha watching TV and went towards them to greet them. They both hugged him with delight and all four of them sat and chatted for a while.

After talking for some time, Anuradha asked the cook to serve the food. Arjun's eyes were roaming here and there in search of Pakhi but she was not seen anywhere. Karan asked the question he wanted to ask "Mom where is Pakhi?" Anuradha just shook her head and replied "She had gone to her friend's house for completing a college assignment. I asked her to atleast meet Arjun and then go but she was in a hurry to go and asked me to apologize to you Arjun that she cannot meet you this time" Arjun knew she just made an excuse to avoid meeting him. He was grateful to that he wouldn't have to see her again but then he felt a pang of hurt knowing she again ignored meeting him. Sighing he started eating his dinner.