Chapter 8: Bliss

"Serenity! I think Coen is at the front door." The feeble intercom passed the sound of my dad's voice to fill my bedroom.

Thursday, the twenty-fourth now had a red x marked over it. Yesterday my father and I took all day with the party planner making sure everything for the event was set up. Mom had no idea how extravagant this party was going to be. Every year they threw a party, but this would be the best one yet for sure.

Gathering my strength, I removed myself from the warmth of my bed. Gliding my cold toes into the fluffy animal slippers. My walk hurried into a slight jog once Coen's rhythmic beat on the door got louder. 

In his arms was a suit in a large white zip bag. A black duffle bag slung across his shoulder and two drinks in a light-colored cardboard drink tray. He smiled at me, raising his eyebrows in question if it was okay to enter.

"Ooh, it's warm and already smells like Christmas in here." He cheered.

"It's a candle called reindeer droppings. Weird, I know."

"Cute outfit." He teased. Although I'm sure he admired my red plaid onesie and polar bear slippers. I walked over to the kitchen, grabbing a small glass of water to pop a pain pill. Coen gave me a questioning look.

"I just got my hair done yesterday, and the braids underneath are tight as hell. Not to mention early this morning I got it put into pin curls and she put a band tied around my edges which has my skull screaming."

He listened intently and smiled. "What time is it?" I asked. He set the things down on the small coffee table. "Uhm, it's 12:30."

"Well shit, why did I have to wake up so late on a busy day?"

"Watch your language, there's children here." Macy made her appearance, marching down the stairs in her princess pajamas. "Little girl, hush." She smiled showing her missing tooth and skipped over completely past me to hug him.

Why does this keep happening?

She inhaled loudly. "You smell really good. A lot like my daddy." She smiled up at him, squeezing tighter. "We must wear the same cologne." He tapped her nose, picking her up into the air and spinning her around. She hurried off to the kitchen giggling, grabbing an apple.

Before running back up the stairs, she sighed looking at us. "When will I get a boyfriend like that?" Coen and I turned to each other, awkward laughs amongst us. "Someday Macy, someday." She was content with that answer and scurried off upstairs.

"I thought you were gonna be mad at me for being late and yet you weren't even up." He laughed. "I was up... I just fell back asleep."

"Since I thought you were gonna be angry, I was gonna bribe you with hot chocolate and," he brought the familiar bright blue packaging out of his bag. It was from Diane's Delights, a small bakery near the school. "Fried Oreos." Simultaneously we announced the contents of the food bag. My mouth watered, smelling the aroma of the food. He sat down on the couch, getting ready to remove the bag.

"Oh no. To my bedroom kind sir, we shall devour this food in comfort."

He was laying down on my bed in black sweatpants, a black hoodie, and matching black socks. The hood rests softly against his blonde hair as he put the blanket over his torso. I was sitting in my chair lightly swinging back and forth.

Completely out of the blue, Coen launched one of my small decorative pillows across the room and it smacked me in the middle of my face. That caused him to fall into a pit of laughter rolling around on my bed. He rolled so fast that he flew off the side onto my floor, landing with a loud thud.