Chapter 22: Certainty

"Welcome to—hopefully our—future humble abode!" Coen held open the door to the large lake house, allowing me to slip past him inside. My eyes gazed around the living room, two couches, one still covered in plastic. Although the place was vastly empty there was no mistaking its beauty. The house was tucked away in a small neighborhood by the lake. There were about ten other neighbors in our section, and the drive back to the city was only about twenty minutes.

"Gorgeous, right?" I nodded my head in agreement and once my eyes fell back onto Coen—who had only been gazing at me instead of the interior—I was clear the "gorgeous" he was talking about was me.

"The house is gor geous too." I stepped forward, my hand clasping against his chin to pull him forward and connect our lips in a gentle kiss. I began walking around the room, Coen's eyes falling my every step. The house was a slightly modernized cabin. Large open windows, exposed stone, wooden beams, a grand fireplace. This was worthy of the status "dream home".

God, please let Coen and I be each other's forever people so I can live here.

"I take it you like it. It's new flooring downstairs, and upstairs, and they finished the attic." He stepped forward, wrapping his arms around my waist while looking at the ceiling. "I'm thinking we can make the attic your music office. Soundproof the walls and you can listen, compose scores, and play to your heart's content." I giggled, placing my hands over his own. "That sounds perfect."

"If you think that's perfect, wait until you see the master bedroom. Our prom night is gonna be spectacular, c'mon." He led me toward and up the staircase, the indoor balcony overlooking the living and kitchen space.

We passed by four bedrooms before stopping at the one at the end of the hallway. He looked back at me with a wink before pushing open the door. The room was large. Large enough that there was a king-size bed, papasan chair, couch, with room left over to breakdance if you wanted too. He pulled back the blinds in front of a large window, revealing an outdoor balcony.

"Coen, this place is insane." He excitedly guided me to the bathroom, showing off the walk-in stone shower and doors where two closets were.

He plopped down on the bed, leaning back against the white comforter, his hair messy. "This is gonna be your house in like four years. That's insane—" he tightly wrapped his legs around my own, and before I knew it, I was getting flipped back onto the bed like I had entered a fight in WWE.

My shoulders smacked against the bed as Coen maneuvered on top of me, gripping my wrists above my head. "Our. House." He spoke clearly. This was a dangerous position for us to be in, and I found myself gazing down to his lips and back up to his eyes multiple times before I finally responded. "You think we're still going to be together by then?" I asked.

He smirked, leaning down to capture my lips in a passionate kiss. He shifted his weight, flipping us over so that I was now on top. He released his lips from my own and then leaned forward to kiss my forehead. "Absolutely."

"Can you hand me the soy sauce packet." I spoke, biting the ends of my chopsticks so as not let them fall onto the cream couch. He passed over a couple packets, opening his own with his teeth before pouring it over his Lo Mein. "Let's play a game." He speaks.

He shifts his legs on the couch, changing his positions so we're looking directly at each other. "And what game are we supposed to be playing?"

"Twenty questions."  I immediately thought about that day when we first hooked up. A game of twenty questions incited it all, and here we were, alone in a lake house. "As a throwback, let's make it five." Coen smiles as my comment, agreeing. "You start."