Chapter 17: Retrovailles

I knocked against the tawny wooden door. I shuffled on my feet, cursing myself for being nervous. I examined the purple and yellow flowers in my hands and couldn't help but wonder if it was too much. My racing mind was cut silent once the door pulled open.

"Hi Serenity! Just in time for lunch. Do you like Alfredo?"

My thoughts immediately slid back to when Coen made me Alfredo. The same day we caught his dad cheating in the basement. The same day we had sex for the first time. "I love Alfredo."

I walked into the townhouse and could not help the audible "wow..." that left my mouth. Color, plants, and warmth. The couch was a soft mustard yellow, followed by a bright geometric rug and a coffee table with eucalyptus plants placed strategically.

"I know. It's a stark contrast from the old house. Joel was never a fan of color." She smiled softly. I followed her towards the kitchen as she grabbed a vase to put the flowers in. "Honey, these are lovely! Do you like flowers? Maybe I can bring give some to Coen to bring you at your karaoke birthday party"

"I know I only gave Coen an invitation, but that invite is extended to you. My mom loves karaoke and she's definitely gonna need you as a partner for  Don't Go Breaking My Heart. I'd love to have you there." She giggled and placed a soft hand onto my shoulder. "I'd love to come."

"You guys better not be eating without me." I immediately turned around at the sound of his voice. It's been awhile.

As soon as he had his phone back, we had been texting hours at a time. He was telling me stories, sharing photos of him and Carson, and fully opening up to me about everything. This was the first time I had seen him in person for almost three weeks. I missed him unbearably so. And with the way his gaze fell onto my own, he missed me the same.

His mother smiled and quickly made her exit to allow us space to talk. I couldn't speak. I could barely move. All I could do was stare.

He was different. I mean, he was still the same Coen McCallister, but everything was different. His platinum streak was brighter. His smile wider. His eyes vivid. His skin warmed. He was glowing. He was happy.

Simultaneously we both stepped forward and connected into a long awaited embrace. "I missed you." He whispered into the crook of my neck. I nodded my head in agreement. I was afraid if I reciprocated the same words my voice would break.

"You guys ready for food?" His mother stepped back in, " I don't know about you two, but I'm hungry.

The food was delicious. And after Coen and I scarfed down our plates and discussed how excited we were for him to come back to school, he took me to his bedroom to give me a tour, and some privacy from his mom.

I sat on the bed and watched him move across the room, plugging in a cloud neon light that hung over his headboard.

I gave him a once-over. "Coen, you look great."

He stopped to spin around with a wide grin. "I feel great." He stepped forward, sitting to the left side of me on the edge of his bed.

"Don't get me wrong, I don't want to jinx it or make it seem like I'm totally healed and everything is fantastic because its not. But the past few weeks with my therapist, playing baseball at the sports center downtown, spending lots of time with my mom and talking to you guys on the phone..."