Chapter 21: Epiphany

"I'm outside, and please dress appropriately, it's 51 degrees not 81." Blair laughed on the other side of the phone, "Okay. I'm coming." She hung up.

Nova stretched in the backseat, sitting up to check out her reflection in the mirror. She sent me a smile, pressing her finger underneath her lashes, and rolling on clear lip gloss. Blair came forth, pulling the door handle to step into the truck.

I started the drive as my eyes fell onto her exposed legs and lack of a jacket. "Oh, c'mon. You know I'm never cold. I even wear shorts in the winter."

"It's because you're white." Nova spoke up with a laugh. "And you're half so what does that say about you?" Blair threw back in a giggle. "It says that my black mama would never let me walk out the house like that, my dad however definitely leaves the house with no coat on and she gets on his ass every time."

Blair 's fingers wrap around the heater, and I quickly slap her hand away. "We're almost there and you don't get to turn on the heat. Just for that," I quickly toggle the button that allows her window to roll down. The cool wind from outside blasts its way into the car and Blair quickly yelps. "Shit! Okay, stop!"

I wind the window back up, looking at the mirror to Nova who was doubled over in a laughing fit. "Yeah, haha now but when you ask me with puppy dog eyes to take a spoonful of my grits, don't be surprised when I tell your ass no." Nova quickly pouted, leaning forward to wrap her arms around Blair's neck and playfully choke her.

This is going to be a long ride.

"I definitely should have ordered that." Nova practically moaned at my plate of Belgian waffles with whipped cream, strawberries and powdered sugar sprinkled on top.

"I can tell," I pulled up my phone, opening to Pinterest to scroll for inspiration, "So, what kind of dress are we looking for? I'm thinking of black and or gold but I'm not sure."

"What does Coen want to wear?" Blair asked while moving away her bowl of grits from Nova. I shrugged my shoulders. "He technically hasn't asked yet. I mean of course we're going together so I don't need a promposal, but it would be cute. Maybe I should do one."

Blair clapped her hands together and squealed.

"Guys. We're literally gonna be adulting soon. Serenity is going to college, Nova is joining her family business, and I'm going to cosmetology school, ugh, time flies! Before you know it, one of us is gonna be having kids" She sipped her drink.

"Well that ruined the surprise," Nova spoke nonchalantly, fishing off her glass of orange juice, before placing two pregnancy test onto the table. Blair and I quickly grabbed one, and my heart sank beneath my ass.

Pregnant.

Blair gasped, her hands clasping over her mouth as the pregnancy test clatters back onto the wooden table. "Are you deadass serious?!" I spoke up, my mouth agape in shock. Me, an aunt. Kill us now.

Wesley being a father was a thought I didn't think I would sit with this soon. He always wanted to have a family of his own, and often confided in me about his worries of being a bad dad, but that very thought alone proved otherwise. If you have ability to worry about your parenting in the future, you'll probably be a good parent.

I intertwined our hands across the table, connecting our gaze. "Whatever your next steps are, I'm with you." Blair wrapped her arms around her shoulder, bringing her in for a hug. "Agreed. Period things trio is back again. Have you told Wesley yet?" Blair asked.

Nova took a deep breath, stuffing her face into her hands and letting her head fall onto the table. "Fuck, now I feel bad. It's a prank." She looked up, her lips pouted and eyes watered.