Chapter 23: Elated

"Serenity! Are you guys ready? The boys are waiting, and mama is already taking a whole bunch of photos." Macy yells at the top of her lungs whilst running into my room. I hear a soft gasp leave her lips and the sound of her pattering feet slow down.

"You look so pretty!" She hurries over, running her small fingers down the strands of my curled hair. She was in awe, and while she craned her neck to look into my vanity mirror, I picked her up and sat her down on my legs so she could see herself better.

Prom day. Almost two weeks since her hospital scare. She was perfectly healthy but the anxiety that shot through me whenever we went outside was going to take a while to overcome.

"I can't wait till I'm older so I can wear makeup and actually look pretty." She cheesed showing off her missing tooth. My face saddened and softened listing to her words. "What did you just say?"

She looked at me hesitantly. "You're not in trouble, I just want you to repeat what you said."

"I said I wanna wear makeup so I can be beautiful." She mumbled. "What makes you think you're not beautiful?" She shifted in my lap, embarrassingly burrowing her head into my shoulder and running her hands over the gold detailing in my black dress.

"This girl in my school said I was ugly. She said that not even makeup could make me look better but I've seen photos on the internet where girls looked pretty with makeup on so I thought it would make me pretty. Like the three of you." Her small face formed into a frown as she peered around my bedroom at Nova and Blair.

"You're already pretty, Macy." Blair stood up, squatting next to my chair so Macy could be on eye level with her. Nova threw a fist pump into the air in agreeance.

"You are beautiful. You're gonna encounter people in life who spread negativity, but you can't allow them to take away your joy. I've had people talk about me and call me names, especially while I was still in foster care. Kids can say some really evil things but look where I am now?"

She sat back, fully giving me her attention. "How did you react to those kids?"

"With some actions that I possibly shouldn't have done. Am I going to lie and say that at this moment in time I regret hitting Ella? No, because she said some hurtful things to me. But I will acknowledge that resorting to physical violence as a result of words is not something you should do. Confidence is your key. When you become sure of yourself, the things people say and think about you won't matter. If what someone is saying is true, embrace it and own it. And if what they are saying is false, then it's false and it shouldn't affect you. Make a joke out of it, take the attention that they want and flip it."

At this point I wasn't sure if this message was more for her or me.

I ran my fingers through her soft dark hair. "I wish someone would've told me this when I was your age, it would've saved a lot of heartbreak but," I moved her chin to look at me. I wanted these words to stick. "You are beautiful. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise, including yourself. You are a gorgeous, inside and out."

"Guys please hurry up, the moms are making us pose on the couch!" I hear Wes's voice fill the upstairs.

I tickle her belly. "As for that girl at school you should just smile and tell her that you feel bad for her." Nova tells Macy. "Say you'll keep her in positive thoughts because karma sucks." Blair adds next, as we all approach the door.

"Or you can say that she's an envious bitch who has nothing better to do than to talk shit about people in order to make herself feel better. But if you choose that option, don't tell mom I told you to say it." I place a finger over my lips and shush her as she giggles.