Chapter 20: Growth

I will never get accustomed to these roller skates. Soon, my teenage career here would be over once June 5th arrives.
My pinky toes were squashed against the red boots, and I was sure I would get blisters.

Pushing and pulling my legs, the back wheels ran absentmindedly over the tiled floor as Coen reached across the table and fixed my white and black apron.

"Aren't you supposed to be working? I don't want to distract you." He spoke before slurping away at his strawberry milkshake. "I am, but as long as boss-man doesn't see me and Alberto doesn't snitch, I'm good. Alex does this all the time when Blair comes in, and I should have a better excuse since we're actually in a relationship." I could never get tired of stating that Coen McCallister was my boyfriend.

I pulled his milkshake across the table, taking a sip for myself. Quickly, he reached, snatching it from my grip. "Don't drink all of it!"

"I made it! Give it here. It's the least you could do." I teased him, and he playfully pouted before chuckling and handing the milkshake back. His soft hand interlocked our fingers. This was a gesture he loved to do, and I quickly learned to love it too. "What time do you get off?"

I gazed down at his watch. "Three. Got about twenty minutes left." He nodded before sitting back in the booth. "I'll wait here till you get off and then we can go to the movies." I took his hand to my lips, placing a soft kiss onto his warm skin. "I would love that."

"Incoming!" Alex wheeled over, barely stopping in time in front of the table. He was wearing an apologetic look, and as I peered behind his shoulders, his dad wasn't far behind.

I quickly stood, regaining my footing on the skates. I reached over the table, bending down to give Coen a quick peck on the lips before skating with Alex back toward the bar.

"Miller." He spoke in a singsong voice. "Yes, boss?" I spoke up innocently, as if I didn't already know he was going to reprimand me. His eyes widened into their usual glare as I grabbed a couple of stray straw wrappers from the countertop.

We stood in cautious silence, Alex staring between the two of us.

I finally conceded, connecting our gaze. "I apologize for taking a break. It won't happen again."

"Thank you." He spoke, walking away to greet customers entering the front door. "My bad. I didn't catch it until too late." Alex spoke, his teeth pressed into a cringe. "It's cool." I bent down, grabbing the disinfectant wipes and handing them to him.

"How's things going with you and your guy?" He looked across the diner to Coen before scoffing and looking back at me with a chuckle. "That's not good, is it?"

"What's not good?" I asked, still crouching behind the bar. "The person he's talking to. Isn't that—" I immediately stood up, almost slipping backward. My eyes fell onto his booth and there he sat, still drinking his milkshake, and deep in conversation with Malik of all people.

"My ex? Yeah." Alex shrugged, placing consoling palms onto my shoulders. "I'm sure its fine. Coen hasn't gotten up to fight him yet."

"He wouldn't do that anyway. That would cause a scene and reflect badly on me. Neither of them are immature enough for that." I spoke. Although it was true, I couldn't help the anxiety that settled in my bones.

"Well to take your mind off of that," Alex skated in a circle, twiddling his fingers in nervousness. "Just spit it out Serrano. The use of his last name caused him to quickly stop twirling and look at me. "Okay... I think I'm gonna ask Blair to be my prom date." I rushed to his side, pulling him into a hug.

"For the love of God and all things good, please ask her! You don't even understand the half of it!" I exasperated and he quickly chuckled, nodding his head yes. "Great. Will do."