Chapter 25: Triumph

The California sun cast a warm glow over my face as I sat on the wooden bench, my phone pressed against my ear. Blair's voice buzzed through the connection, animated and filled with excitement about her blossoming summer romance.

"...and then Alex did the sweetest thing," Blair gushed, recounting their latest escapade. I leaned forward, a genuine smile on my lips at her newfound happiness. The promise of a memorable summer echoes in each word Blair shares. The senior trip loomed on the horizon, coming up in five days.

"Sounds amazing, Blair," I replied. "I can't wait to hear all about it in person."

"Tell Joey I said congrats! Much love; see you when you get back home." She made a kiss noise and quickly hung up. My eyes scanned the crowd, landing on the group that was my family. I stood, walking along in my wedges, to join them. A warm sense of gratefulness was in the air.

Laughter and chatter filled the air as they exchanged stories of us kids when we were young. "Yeah and do you remember when Joey tried to learn how to flip pancakes and then threw the batter all the way on the ceiling?" My mom laughed, reminiscing on our preteen years.

Despite the joyous atmosphere, a subtle sense of melancholy lingered around Tyrone. I noticed the hint of sadness in his eyes as he stood slightly apart from the group, occasionally laughing along with everyone, only to then quiet down and scuff his feet on the sidewalk.

"Hey, everything okay?" I asked, my voice gentle. He sighed, his gaze fixed on the horizon. "Just thinking, you know? About how soon you and Wesley will be graduating too, and then you'll be gone." Tyrone wasn't one to be sentimental. Most young teenage boys thought emotions were territory not to be explored, so for him to say something, he must have been thinking about this for a while.

A sympathetic understanding passes between us as I place a comforting hand on his shoulder. "It's scary. Hell, I'm scared shitless, but we're always going to be family. We'll find ways to stay connected, no matter where life takes us."

I extended my pinky finger, and he took it, a promise between the two of us. Tyrone managed a small smile, unspoken gratitude in his eyes.

"Guys, it's time to go in," Wesley called out to the two of us, my dad beckoning us to walk alongside everyone as we entered the cool auditorium. The crowd surged as hundreds swiftly searched for the best place to sit. A great view of the stage, and the ability to make sure your screams could be heard.

The scent of excitement and pride hung in the air once we gathered in a row, sitting down and watching as the ceremony was starting to begin.

Speech after speech, moment after moment, time seemed to pass by slowly. Macy kept fiddling with the program, her impatience showing. And then finally, students were being called to the stage.

Last names starting with A, then D, then J, and then I heard my mom mumbling curses under her breath.

My dad, clutching her phone like a precious artifact, fumbling with buttons as the last names quickly approached the letter M. "James, I swear I will murder you in front of everyone if you don't record this right."

"I'm trying!" With a lighthearted chuckle, I reached over and helped him find the elusive record button.

Just in time.

"Joey Miller, Bachelors!" The announcer's voice echoed through the auditorium as Joey's name rang out. All the previous arguing no longer mattered as we all rose to our feet and erupted into cheers, drawing the attention of those nearby.

Joey, sporting a proud grin, pointed up toward our seats as he walked confidently across the stage.

The room echoed with applause as we basked in the joy of Joey's achievement, capturing the memory on video.