Chapter 27: Farewell Part I

Wow. Today is the day.

I stood before the bathroom mirror, a sea of graduation regalia spread across my bed. My phone buzzed, and the familiar face of Coen illuminated the screen. I answered the video call and excitement hummed through the phone as he greeted me with a wide grin.

"Good morning, graduate-to be!" Coen exclaimed, his enthusiasm contagious. I smiled, toothbrush in hand. Good morning my love, can you believe we're finally graduating?" He smiled, "I'm ready to get out of that hell hole." He quickly leaned in, getting a closer look at me. "You know what would make this morning even better?"

I raised an eyebrow, toothpaste foam on my lips. "What?" He grinned mischievously. "A little accidental towel drop, perhaps?" I burst into laughter, shaking my head. "You wish, Coen. Keep dreaming."

He laughed as I continued to brush my teeth, and his tone shifted, his gaze softening. "On a serious note, Serenity, today is a big deal. I can't wait to see you today. You're going to look amazing in that cap and gown. But beyond the ceremony and the pictures, it's the start of something new, you know? A whole new chapter."

I rinsed my mouth, meeting Coen's gaze through the screen. "Yeah, it's the start of our journey beyond high school. I'm excited but also a little nervous." He smiled, a reassuring warmth in his eyes. "We've got this, babe. No matter what comes our way, we'll face it together. High school is just a chapter. The real adventure is waiting for us."

My heart swelled with love. "I'm lucky to have you by my side, Coen. Today's going to be emotional, but I wouldn't want to experience it with anyone else." Coen's eyes crinkled with a soft smile. "Same here. From this day forward, it's us against the world."

The video chat ended once I had to seriously start getting ready and could no longer waste time cracking jokes. Especially after Coen added our friends to the video chat.

I stood before the mirror, my fingers working down the final detail of my braided hair. My mom in mix of eagerness and sentimentality, entered my bedroom with my dress draped over her arm. "Almost ready, sweetheart?"

I nodded, a mixture of nerves and joy dancing in my eyes. "Just the finishing touches." My mom set the orange dress on the bed, a vibrant contrast to the earth tones of my bedroom. My eyes sparkled as I ran my hands over the fabric, feeling the weight of the occasion settle in.

With a deep breath, I slipped into the stress and heeled sandals, each movement one step closer to the ceremonial milestone. Today, I graduate. Heading downstairs, the hum of activity in the kitchen warmed me. Dad sat at the kitchen island, waiting for Mom and I's arrival, and Wesley scrolled through his phone.

"Look at the other beautiful graduate!" Mom exclaimed, her eyes brimming with pride as she looked between Wesley and me. Dad hurried over, bringing me into a tight embrace. "Aww, my little girl is all grown up!"

Wesley, leaning against the kitchen counter, raised an eyebrow. "Alright, alright, enough with the sentiment. We've got a graduation to attend." With a  laugh, I joined Wesley against the counter, and Mom eagerly retrieved both our cap and gowns. "Let's get a picture first!" she said instead, camera in hand.

Against the living room wall, we stood side by side. The camera clicked, capturing the essence of the day that would soon unfold. Wesley checked the time on his phone, tossing me my keys. "Mom, Dad, as much as we love your proud parent moment, we've got to get going. We don't want to be late."

Our parents, momentarily caught up in the excitement, exchanged a look before nodding. "Right, right. Off you go, then. We'll meet you at the school," Dad spoke, ushering us towards the door. As we stepped outside, the car keys jiggled in my hands. A symbolic gesture of our soon-to-be independence. "Ready?"