Chapter 19: Pride

"Where's Coen? He's never been this late." Nova spoke as she gazed around the foyer for him. We were all in our signature spot up in the front of the building, waiting for him.

As if on some snap of the finger cue, Coen walked through the doors with a wide grin. Today was surprisingly warm for it being early march so he had his jacket in his grasp along with a drink tray. His muscled arms were covered by the sleeves of a white button up which was underneath an emerald sweater vest. His small gold nose stud was back in, his hair styled away from his face except for the platinum streak of hair that fell in a soft Superman curl against his forehead.

Confidence was all anyone could say when looking upon him. His stride was long and incredibly smooth. Almost as if he were floating. The aroma of his musky cologne filled my nose and his smooth lips fell into a smirk as he admired me up and down. He connected his eyes to mine before winking.

It should be illegal to look this good.

"You're late, McCallister. But I'll let it pass because you look nice." Wes spoke as everyone admired his appearance. "I know, I stopped to get a Shamrock Shake from McDonald's."

He pushed the cardboard drink tray in my direction, urging me to take the other. "Aww, I appreciate it. You didn't have to, Coen. I'll pay you back." I smiled.

He took a sip of the other one, passing the tray to Nova to throw in the recycling behind her. He scoffed and raised a brow. "My treat. Let me spoil you." He looked directly into my eyes.

Let's just skip school at this point.

"Uhm, and why didn't I get a Shamrock Shake?" Dominic spoke up, his lips forming a playful pout. Coen interlocked our fingers with his freehand and brought my hand to his lips to place a warm kiss. "You're not my girlfriend. No relationship, no free food."

My cheeks warmed at the sound of that. Girlfriend. I was his, and he was mine. Kenji's lips lifted into a genuine smile before he reached forward and pinched my cheeks. "I'm happy for you two."

"Thanks, Ken." Coen absentmindedly twirled the keys in his hand. The silver caught my eye and I reached for his hand, pulling the keys to my face to get a better look.

Coen blushed under the attention. Those car keys weren't his. Nor his mom's. It wasn't a bulky black remote starter like mine, or anyone else's. It was old and silver. The galloping horse and Ford logo on either side of the key head.

The all black, 1967 Mustang.

"You did it." To an outsider, me crying over my boyfriend driving a car would look ridiculously stupid. But to everyone in this circle, my watering eyes were worth it. My watering eyes were a symbol of pride and adoration.

"I did." He spoke softly. Kissing the light up keychain attached to it. One side had shadowed palm trees against a sunset, and the other had a name written in white cursive letters.

Carson.

"Coen..." I couldn't put into words how emotional this made me. How proud and completely overwhelmed with happiness I felt. So, I brought him close and let my embrace do all the talking. His body relaxed in my arms, his head falling perfectly into the crevice of my neck.

He inhaled, a soft wetness from tears against my skin. "Aww Coen, we're so proud!" Nova jumped forward, wrapping her arms around the both of us. Coen pulled away from the hug, wiping his cheek. Dominic quickly pulled him into their own hug, a gentle tear on his own cheek.

"If we continue to do all this hugging, we're never going to make it to class." Coen chuckled. I interlaced our fingers, wiping away the remnant wetness on his cheeks. I brought his hand to my lips, and we all began our walk down the hallway.