Chapter 16: Resolve

Hospital chairs are insanely uncomfortable when sitting in them for more than thirty minutes. In our case, it had been four hours. And within all that time, our friends—even Alex—my mom, dad, Wesley, and Joey all came here to the hospital before his own father did.

Mrs. McCallister had called him about five times, each time a more aggressive voicemail was left behind. Rightfully so.

She was sitting, my mom's arms wrapped around her in warmth as they talked. She looked happy and I was sure this was the first time in a while she was able to talk freely and confide in someone.

"Hey, you okay?" Kenji knocked me out of my thought. I took the bottle of apple juice from his hands and gave him a smile. "Yeah, I was just thinking." He nodded. "I can't imagine how hard that was for you. Dealing with your father and now Coen, shit. I'm sorry." His fingers brushed over my cheek wiping away tears I didn't know were there. I hadn't allowed myself to cry and now there was no stopping it.

Kenji quickly wrapped his hands around me, pulling me tight into an embrace as I soaked through the shoulder of his black thermal sweater.

We sat like this for a while, Kenji never letting go of his warm hold until I gave the okay. Once I backed away, he handed me some tissues, giggling at the loud sound of me clearing my nose. "Thanks Ken, I appreciate you."

"You're my best friend Serenity, I'd do anything for you." The bittersweet moment was quickly cut short once Kenji's face morphed into shock and terror. "Oh shit." I turned around, my eyes falling on what had shocked him.

Ella.

She paced the floor frantically, looking around the waiting room for a familiar face until she landed on mine. She walked forward toward me before hesitantly stopping in her tracks. We may have done petty shit to each other but does she think that low of me that I'd push her away and be rude at a time like this?

I connect our eyes and point to the empty seat next to me. She smiles, hurrying to sit down. "What happened? Our dads were hanging out when Coen's dad got the call, and my dad called me to ask about it which sent me into a frenzy because I clearly didn't know anything..." She trailed off as her voice broke.

"He was at the bridge when his mom and I found him. He wasn't wearing winter clothes and after being outside for so long he got mild hypothermia." She gasps, fear written all over her face. I placed a hand over hers, helping her calm down. He's alright, His body temperature has returned to normal and he would be ready for discharge but he'll be here for a couple more days.

Her gaze lifted to mine. "Why is he staying for longer is he's okay?" She asked softly. I wasn't sure how to tell her. I wasn't sure if Coen even wanted her to know. "Uhm... he signed himself into inpatient psychiatric care..."

A tear rolled down her cheeks. "I-I thought he was getting better... I should've been there... if I had known I would've never broke up with him when I did. And that close to Carson's birthday? I'm trash—"

"You broke up with him in November. I'm sure that wasn't the catalyst so stop blaming yourself. We all thought he was better. I think he thought he was good and I'm sure he was at moments but overtime it progressed and now here we are." She nodded her head in agreement.

"We need to be optimistic. Yes he's his a severe depressive low but he wants help. He wants to be better. That is a huge start. Be patient with him and anytime you're around him, just make sure he knows he's loved."

Her next move shocked me. She pulled me in quickly for a hug, her cries quieted by my jacket.

"I know we've had our issues. I've was envious of you when we first met.That envy turned to jealously once you and Coen became close and I thought I won whatever imaginary competition I had created when I started dating him." She dropped her head, shame expressed on her face.