38. The Room At The Far End

Hannah was in a dilemma - she wanted to go, the drive, the reason was enough to pull her towards the house, but then she had also made a promise to her dad to keep herself and her brother safe. She doesn't want to lose her brother or doesn't want anything to happen to them. After all, it was a choice of life or death from that point. But whichever path she would choose, there's danger on every footstep. She remembered why they came there in the first place. John was right. No matter if they go back or move on, Diana would definitely try to do something evil. He was right. They cannot wait any longer. They cannot risk any more lives. She looked at her brother. Something in his eyes, a force so strong to fight, to defeat an evil entity, to save lives. Seeing him made everything clear. Holding his brother's arm, she said, "Let's go."

The house was very old with dried grasses and bushes surrounding it. What was odd was that after 10 miles starting from the house, everything was green - a green field with lush vegetation. But around the house, within the 10 miles radius surrounding the house, everything was dried and burnt. Only above the house, the sky lost its luster and the shine from all the moon and the stars. There were no houses or neighborhoods around Nick's house - it stood alone, like a person stranded on a deserted island throughout his life, whose even skeleton was left unnoticed. It was a 3 story house giving off an icy-cold-ghostly-odd vibe. Dried climbers surrounded the chipped paints of the walls.

They moved forward to approach the main door. With every footstep, the dried leaves beneath their feet made a cracking sound. Moving closer to the door, they could feel as if they were being watched. Even though they were the only two there, weird noises started to come from around them which made them startled, made them look around in fear, but nothing or no one was there - were their minds playing dark games on them? Or was there someone coming for them which the two were unprepared for?

Reaching the door, a small house plate was covered with some dead vines. Removing the vines to one side, John saw 'House No. 666' etched on the tarnished metal plate. Hannah pushed the old rusted metal door forward, which had beautiful carvings and patterns, but it was jammed due to the years of being left unnoticed. With every force they had, both of them pushed the door harder which moved inside a bit, the creaking sound amplified with every push they gave it.

Putting a step forward, Hannah coughed due to the dust that drifted in the air. The whole place was pitch black - like a black abyss. They took out their phones and shone the flashlight in front of them illuminating the room. The place was covered with cobwebs in which Hannah and John got entangled.

"Ugh," Hannah groaned as her body shivered in disgust as she tried to break free, removing the webs as fast as she can.

"I know. We have to watch our every step. Even the floor could break if we're not careful." John replied keeping and lifting his foot off from the floor every second checking it which gave a creaking-about-to-break sound in return.

The hall was huge - with carpets, chandelier, a high ceiling which made the room look more spacious. But the conditions that they were in were worst. They were covered in dust, with broken or torn or chewed up pieces of furniture, boarded up windows, and a chilling vibe that enveloped the entire house.

With their flashlights pointing to every item and corner of the room, they inspected everything and every place. This time, they both looked together - not taking the risk of searching alone as they did before. They inspected every nook and cranny, underneath the carpet, floor, even inside and outside the items. They didn't want to miss any place or spot.

"Try searching the floor too. Remember Nick mentioned that the stone fell from his father's pocket when he got up? Let's check the dining area."

The dining area had paintings that were tilted and whose frames were broken from sides. Looking at the dining table and chairs, it looked like they must be of colonial style with a small light source hanging above. Even after searching the entire room, they got nothing.