105. The Purpose

When all hope seemed to be lost, a coughing sound filled the air. Everyone looked at the rubble from where the sound was coming.

Slowly an apparition could be seen in the smoke which was getting bigger and bigger every passing second.

The silhouette slowly took the shape of a girl and that was enough for everyone to know that Emily was alive.

"Look!" Ryan exclaimed pointing at a limping Emily.

John wiped his tears as he ran to be Emily's support. He helped her get away from the debris. Tom wagged his tail and jumped up and down and all around Emily seeing her alive.

When Emily reached a safe distance away from the Church where everyone stood, Rose asked, "Are you alright, Emily?"

Emily nodded in a tired state. Few seconds passed by but no sign of anyone else.

"Where's Clyde?" Ryan asked still looking at the remains.

"He... he... sac-" Emily broke down crying.

"Emily, what happened in there?" John asked quietly.

Emily wiped her tears with the cement residue hands, swallowed her saliva, and replied, "I wasn't able to move and even though I tried to break free, Diana was way too strong. The walls were slowly beginning to crumble down and the roof began shaking. I was scared.

I tried again and again to move but it was no use. To be honest, I had given up all the hopes to make it out alive.

Diana began laughing and said that any living soul or any spirit that come to save me would die, just to make sure I was once and for all out of her way. Then Helena came and teleported herself and Diana somewhere.

Suddenly, I saw Clyde in all that chaos. I begged him to leave but he was adamant. I told him about what Diana said, about how he could have his final death if he stays there any longer but he said that he can't leave me alone and that since he was already dead, he wouldn't mind dying again but I was still alive and life is worth it.

When the roof was just about to collapse, he made sure I was a few distance away so that I won't be harmed. When I was outside by jumping through the window, I told him to come outside because if the building crumbles down, it would take him away with it too.

He tried his best to move but maybe Diana put some sort of trap or spell or something that he couldn't.

I cried my eyes out, I didn't wanna lose him. But he smiled and told me to end Diana, to end this evil, to stay alive for the justice, to stay strong, to stay alive for the light.

And then he said with a smile, "Now I know what my purpose was all along." right before the building collapsed and - "

Emily broke down crying. She cried and cried. John sat on the street next to her and wiped her tears. "Clyde was indeed very brave. Even though he was mischievous, but he was a really kind soul,"

Ryan, John, and everyone around had tears in their eyes.

"But," Emily said sobbing, "why did he say that now he knows what his purpose was?"

Ryan knelt down, placed a hand on Emily's shoulder, and replied, "Clyde was your protector, Emily. He was your guardian angel. That was his purpose."

"Emily, when you were in the hospital," Ryan continued, "Helena and I told Clyde that we all, as spirits have a purpose in our lives and we were given certain gifts to fulfill that purpose. That time Clyde asked me what his purpose was, but that was for him to find out. All his life after being a spirit, all he did was to protect you right from the start without even him knowing about it.