76. The Montana Family

Emily looked at Father's gaze which was pointing behind her. She was dumbfounded as to how Father sensed the presence of Clyde. But he was a Father after all, so that shouldn't come as a surprise. Emily thought but still, she asked, "Father Murphy, we are the only two in the Church, "

Father giggled a bit. "Don't worry, my child, I can't see the spirit but I know you've brought someone else with you. We can see only those spirits who choose to show themselves to us."

Emily looked at Clyde who now floated beside her. Both of them exchanged glances when Clyde said to Emily, "He can't see me, Emily. Remember I told you that I can be seen by those that need my help. Now let's go, we can't waste any time."

Saying this, Emily nodded and walked towards Father who kept the book he was holding on a bench near him as Clyde floated beside her.

"Father, please," Emily began with a pleading voice. "we need to know what had happened in the past. When you came to Jackson's house to save us, you told us that this had happened before too. Please, father, please tell us, we are sick of her and can't see any innocent suffer because of her."

Emily paused for a bit to take a breath. Her eyes had become soft and she looked at Father Murphy who slowly turned behind him towards Him.

"Father please," Emily and Clyde walked forward to face him. "This could save so many lives and we really want to end this whole 'Diana' thing. And you could help us. What happened in the past could help us, father."

Father Murphy closed his eyes, let out a deep breath as he whispered under his breath 'God, look out for your children.' and said looking at Emily," Come with me, child."

- - - - - - - - - - -

Back at the hospital, David was sleeping with a blue blanket on in the bed. The room had sliding glass windows below which there was a couch. John rested his chin inside his cupped hands as he sat on the couch trying not to fall asleep. There were only David and his son inside the four walls as Rose had gone outside to talk to the doctor.

C'mon, John, don't sleep. He tried telling himself opening his eyes wide open a couple of times and rubbing them. Finally, he got up and began to pace around. He craned his neck outside the door, looked both sides, but there was no sign of his mom. He went back inside and looked at his dad. Please, get well soon, dad. I cannot see you like this.

He began saying in his mind as he found his footsteps moving towards his dad.

I'm really sorry, it's my fault you have to be here. It was my fault that mom had to be here too. I'm sorry about Aunt and -

He tried so hard to keep himself together but couldn't hold the weight upon him any longer. His throat was heavy and burning due to sorrow and eyes cloudy due to the teardrops.

Don't worry dad, He continued wiping off his tears, holding his dad's hand which lost all its firmness. I started this, and I'm gonna end all this. Emily and Clyde have gone to the Church. I really hope that they find something.

After spending a few minutes more with his dad, John let out a breath and got up. He walked towards the door to see if his mom had returned back.

- - - - - - - - - -

He turned around and walked towards the bench on which he had placed the book. He picked up the book and sat down - gesturing Emily to take a seat.

With the book clutched in his lap, he took a breath in and began, "This had happened in another town. I came to know about this terrifying and malicious incident when Father Matthew, who was the Father of that town at that time, came to me regarding this. We had known each other for a decade."

Father Murphy closed his eyes and swallowed his saliva as he clutched the book more tightly.

"There was a family named Montana, who used to live there, "Father Murphy began. "Amber was the only child of Mr. and Mrs. Montana and they loved their daughter to death. She was around 9 at that time. But her vicious and sadistic spirit didn't even spare a child.

I still remember that day, the clouds were grey and dark, and the thunder started to roar like giving a warning sign. I was in my office when I heard the first drop of rain knocked at my windowpane at around midnight. In no time, there came a rain so heavy as if it was meant to drown this entire city in it - like someone lashed out all their anger they had held inside them all their life. There was darkness everywhere as the power of the entire town went out.

I came out on the front porch when we saw two headlights piercing the raindrops and making a turn towards us. When the headlights died down in front of our yard, I heard someone calling out my name. In the rainy cab ride, it was Father Matthew.

Without even thinking about getting wet, he opened the door and ran towards me - his shoes splashing the puddles causing the water to splash on the grasses in the lawn and his clothes getting soaked in the rain.

I could clearly see that there must've been an emergency but never in my dreams thought what he was about to say to me.

He told me that the girl named Amber was being possessed by a spirit and that even though he had tried everything from his end - even the exorcism, the spirit just won't let go. It was the most powerful and dark spirit father Matthew had ever encountered."

In the midst of the story, Emily turned around to see if Clyde was saying anything. Clyde gave back a confused look to her. She looked around - there were only three people in the Church- she, Clyde, and Father Murphy. I thought I heard a giggle. She shrugged her thoughts and continued to listen to the story in the hope to find a way or a clue from the past.

"He came to ask for my help. It was urgent, as the more Amber was left alone with Diana, the more dreadful things she could do than she had already done."

Emily shivered like an ice cube ran down her spine.

"Emily," Father asked, "Is everything alright?"

Emily looked at her right arm and then looked around - there was no one else. I swear I felt something cold brushed against my skin.

"Nothing, Father. I'm just chilly - I think."She looked at Clyde who was giving a worried look now. She closed her eyes and smiled real quick telling him not to worry. She looked around one last time and said, "Father, what do you mean by 'than she had already done'? What had she done?"