48. Circle Of Bats

John lost the track of time while running. All he knew was that he was running for so long now that his legs began to swell and hurt. But he knew that he had to suck it up and run till he sees a safe place or if he is lucky enough the Church.

It was still dark so he couldn't see what lies on his way ahead. He tripped from a stone and fell down on his left side, hurting his arm. The harshness of the road caused the skin of his left arm to peel and bleed a little.

"Ouch," He let out a little cry of pain and tried to get up. He placed his right hand on the place where he got hurt. He took deep breaths as he wiped the flowing blood dripping. He got up with difficulty and began limping.

He was limping for what he guessed was around 20 or 30 minutes and all he could think of was his sister, Hannah, still in the house, that he has to get back there to save her. He cannot leave her like that to die. But for now, he has to get somewhere safe.

He limped his way at the place where their car broke down. Well, not broken down technically, just abruptly stopped giving jolts for no reason at all. He went near the car.

Yes! Maybe I could try to start it. Please God, let it start. Save me.

He opened the door and got inside. Lucky for him, the key was still in its position. He gave it a quick turn.

Yes. Yes. Please start.

His face lit up a bit when he heard the engine's sound.

Nooooo.

The engine died soon causing that smile to fade away. John clucked his tongue in disappointment and looked away.

Why are all the bad things happening to me? Arg!

He got out of the car and slammed the door shut.

I don't even know where I am. It's the middle of nowhere. Where will I go? The car's not starting, my legs are sore and my head and my arms hurt. I cannot even see a single soul - a living soul (he corrected himself) to ask for help. God! Please help. Please.

He continued limping his way to who knows where. He thought that if he just keeps walking, he would definitely come across some shelter not like he has any other choice at that moment.

As he continued to walk on the dark streets lighted by the moon, he felt as if someone's following him. He looked behind but there was no one.

My imagination. But who can blame it though after everything I saw?

Suddenly, a bunch of bats appeared out of nowhere and kept flying around him forming a circle above his head.

Where in the world did all you come?

All the bats were squeaking above him. The continuous sound of which began irritating him, causing pain in his ears.

Stop. Just stop. He muffled his ears with his hands. But it wasn't much of a use.

After a few seconds, all the bats flew behind him and just disappeared. Just like that as if they were a part of some magic show.

He felt relieved and removed his hands from his ears.

Neither do I have any interest from where they all came from nor where they all went. I just wanna go home.

He kept walking feeling the cool and refreshing breeze on his face. But just then the same feeling crept in.

Walk away, John, it's nothing.

But he could see from the corner of his eyes that something or someone was close nearby. He kept walking shaking every negative thought that was popping in his head with his eyes still looking in the corner without turning his head.

In the moonlight, he could figure out the figure of a lady. He gulped the saliva of fear and continued walking.

Walk away, John, it's nothing but your imagination which is playing with you. It'll go away.

John kept walking and walking but the figure behind him didn't go away. It was like it was walking with him.

He felt so much fear that day that he had it enough with the scariness - this or that it was his hurt and tiredness speaking. Either way, he didn't want to feel scared. What worse could happen? It could be Diana. He'll find a way to escape. But he had enough with the cat and mouse chase.

After letting out a huge breath, he turned behind. "Leave me alone!" He screamed. But there was no one.

I'm going insane! It's final.

But just as he turned around, he screamed again seeing the face of the eerie woman close to him. With a sliced tilted head that appeared to be falling off any second now, she smiled with her yellow crooked teeth.

"What do you want? Why can't anyone leave me alone!" His tiredness was really starting to reflect. "I just wanna go home!"

The eerie woman gave a creepy smile and after tucking her long hairs behind her ears revealing bats earrings hanging from her earlobes, she snapped her fingers.

A few quick seconds after that John could see his surroundings disappear slowly like every particle leaving their place and going in the air piece by piece and then John found himself not on the dark streets but in a lighted room.