78. Pawn

"What the hell happened to me back there?" John asked himself. Placing all his body weight on one hand which was resting on a wall in the entrance of the hospital building while the other covered his forehead.

The air was cool and humid. The trees swayed as they danced with the wind. John walked outside to clear his head. He had no idea whatsoever what had just happened back in there. He looked at the twinkling stars above as he began questioning his move.

I swear I had no memory of doing that. I mean, I could never do that! I don't remember anything. Why can't I remember anything?

He threw up his hands in frustration.

A knife dropped from my hands which was looming above my father! Was I sleepwalking? But I could never do that EVEN in that case! And above all, I do not sleepwalk. Ahh, it's so confusing! God knows what would've happened if mom didn't come in.

He shivered in fright thinking about the consequence.

It was like I had no control over my body or my mind. It felt like...nothing! I felt nothing at all. The last thing I remember was that I had gone outside to look for mom. And then I saw her inside the doctor's room so I was waiting outside in one of the chairs in the waiting area. And I think that I must have dozed off for a while due to the heaviness in my eyes. Then how in the world did I ended up holding a knife?!

Was I really sleepwalking? But even if I was, did no one in the hospital saw me do that? But even if they did, why didn't anyone stop me?

I swear I did not even feel my fingers on the cold silver metal. When did I even pick it up? I did not feel any control over my body - my actions!

John turned around and started walking back towards the building seeing the weather of that night to be a bit more than the usual 'windy'.

Agh! What is happening to me? How could I do such a thing?

"Ahh," John squeaked out loud snapping him out of his thoughts. He tripped and hit the ground on his face.

After a few seconds, he placed his dirt-covered hands to his side on the ground and tried to lift himself up by pushing his hand against the ground.

As the wind was picking up the speed, the air carried the dirt from the ground along with it. As soon as John tried to open his eyes, the dirt went straight into them, forcing him to quickly shut them.

"Ow, sand!" John began rubbing his eyes. But the sand granules caused friction in his eyes which made the situation even more painful. John groaned with pain.

Stupid wind!

He took a corner of his shirt, made it into a ball, and placing it into his mouth, he exhaled and then placed that warm ball of cloth on his eyes. He did it again and again till he was able to open his eyes up a little bit.

His surroundings were still blurred but he could make something of it. He then saw two feet in front of him through his unfocused vision.

He looked up and saw someone's silhouette extending their hands to help him up.

"Thanks," John said taking the offer. When he got up, he again rubbed his eyes with the same warm cloth. This time even though he couldn't see clearly with the particles of sand and the darkness of the night, he made out the person who helped him to be a girl - with hairs on one side and wearing a dress.

"Thank you, the wind became so strong suddenly."

John stood there with a warm end of his shirt waiting for the girl standing in front of him to reply. But when she didn't, John said, "I'm going inside to wash my eyes. The sand's hurting my eyes so much. You should too, the weather's becoming worse."

Saying this, he turned around and began walking slowly back inside the hospital building as he didn't want to bump into anything else. He heard the sound of the footsteps behind him and without turning back, he assumed them to be of the same girl's.

"So, what's your name?" John asked breaking the silence on their way back.

But the girl did not reply.

Why is she not saying anything? It's kinda creepy though. But maybe she's shy or maybe she must be on some kind of a vocal rest? Who knows?

Suddenly, John felt a presence near the back of his neck.

"That was fun, wasn't it?"

The girl said in a slow, deep, and yet a mocking voice.

"But instead of touching the floor, it would've been more fun if it would've pierced your dad!"

That was the moment that made John froze.

"H-Hannah? No, it can't be,"

Saying it nervously with a shaky voice, he began to turn around.

"No, no, it ca-"

Suddenly, he stopped with his mouth and eyes wide open as he looked directly into Hannah's eyes. At first, they were black, completely black - deep as an abyss - but then as she blinked them, they changed into burning red - like some deadly flames of anger.

Looking eye-to-eye, John's face got emotionless - like a statue. His eyes weren't blinking and his mouth was still open. The nervous face of John dropped within a second when his eyes met Hannah's and changed into a motionless face - like a corpse.

Hannah tilted her head - still maintaining eye contact - towards her right, all the way down her shoulders. John, - without a waver or a blink - followed her.

The muscles of his neck were stretching so badly, that it could rupture and bones could break anytime, but John didn't feel anything. His gaze was fixated on Hannah - mimicking every move she made - like a marionette.

John had lost all his control over his body. He stood there in front of Hannah like a soulless being.

Slowly, John began opening his mouth wider and wider. And then, still looking into those flaming red eyes, John said without even moving a muscle,

"Long live, Diana."