40. Ouija Board

"Where did you even get it from?" Hannah said standing up.

"You know I grab whatever is near me when I'm scared or afraid! I know it's a weird habit but it is what it is." John looked down at his shoes. It was true. Ever since he was in kindergarten he would grab something - anything near him if he was scared and held onto it. Once in seventh grade, when they had their science project exhibition, one kid in John's class built the classic electricity from potato experiment but he accidentally overpowered the bulb causing more than enough electricity to flow. Since this kid had his table next to John, due to the overpowering, the potatoes exploded and the circuit sparked close to his arm and caused a fire. John got so terrified of this - who wouldn't be if something like this - exploding potatoes, short-circuiting, and a fire - would have happened just a few inches away from anyone's skin, they were bound to get terrified. Everyone ran towards the exit - John was running with a beaker in his hands - spilling the content of it everywhere - which Hannah thought was a part of his science experiment. It was a completely chaotic scene.

When John was checking in the pile, he found an unusual looking box. When he was about to open it to inspect, the bouncing ball and the sobbing sound made him frightened due to which John grabbed the nearest thing that he could find - the box and ran. It was surely an old unusual looking box on which two words were written which made Hannah cringe with fear.

'Ouija Board'

Out of all the things from that pile, why did he take this? And why in the world did Nick has this thing in his attic?

Hannah took a deep breath, "It's alright. Just put it anywhere here 'cause we ain't going back up there in the attic and let's leave this place." Hannah walked a few steps when she realized that John wasn't behind her. She turned and saw that John was standing - standing like a statue - and looking at the box still in his hands.

"John, Let's go!"

But John kept standing there - lost.

"John!"

No movement.

Hannah went near him and shook his shoulders gently, "John, what's wrong? Let's go before anything happens. I know why we came here and I know I told you that we shouldn't leave until we find something, but this place is far too weird and dangerous. I had promised dad that I won't let anything happen to you or me. I cannot risk losing you."

After a brief moment of pause, John said quietly, "You're right but I have a feeling that what we're looking for is somewhere here. I know we didn't find anything but I think that we might."

By looking at John's face which was still staring at the box, Hannah knew for sure what was in his brother's mind. "No way we're doing it!"

"But Hannah, -"

"NO! Haven't you seen in movies that it always ends horribly? No, John, leave it, and let's go."

"What would we do if we go back!?" There was a rebellious tone in John's voice that started to come to the surface. "I know you're worried about us. I know you don't want anything to happen to us. I get that! Don't you think I'm worried too? I don't want either of us to die! But what good or positive would we do if we go back? Nothing. It would be like back to square one. Let's pretend for a second that we went back. Then what? We don't know where the third stone is. We don't know how to stop Diana. We don't know whom Diana would kill next and do you think that Diana would stop doing her evil deeds just like that? There's so much on the line and we don't know anything how to stop it! There's so much to risk and if we just go back, there are no loose ends or any clues to follow. We'd go back to being helpless if we turn back. I know something's in this house. I know we'll find something here. This was the place of Diana's victim. Something has to be here."