53. The Lady In Black

"Hey, Emily," John whispered looking at Emily who was sitting opposite to him. "Can I talk to you for a sec?"

Emily nodded as she excused herself and got up. John and Emily went towards the living room while David got up to attend a phone call.

"What's wrong?" Emily quickly pointed out.

John thanked her that she didn't tell where Hannah actually was. He then told her that they cannot tell aunt Petunia about anything and then he told her about the weirdest thing that had happened that morning with the random appearance of the bouquet near mom's bedside table when they came back from the walk.

"What do you mean it just appeared?" Emily's voice dropped down an octave.

"When I asked the nurse, Rosie about it, she said that no one entered the room, she was outside the whole time."

"Then how did the bouquet came in? It's almost like it just magically appeared out of thin air."

"And, that's not even it," John continued, "there was a note attached at the bottom of the bouquet and you won't believe what it said!"

"What?"

"It said that the lady in black is next."

"What does that supposed to mean?" Emily became confused but alarmed. "Who send it? Was there any name written on it?"

"No. No name. No sign. Not even initials." John recalled himself turning the note back and front many times but saw nothing except that warning and threatening line

"Okay," Emily calmed herself down. She didn't want any situation to escalate in a state that no one can handle it. "Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Maybe it was a prank?"

"But who would play such a stupid prank? I mean it's not even funny. And besides, the nurse said that no one entered the room and -"

"How do you even know that she's not lying?"

John got quite for a while.

"And, even if let's pretend that the nurse is telling the truth, then, no one entered the room doesn't mean that no one left it either."

"Impressive, Emily!" John became amused by detective skills. "Which detective shows are you watching? I wanna get some pointers from them too!"

Emily giggled. "So, where is the bouquet now?"

John moved his hands through his hair. "We didn't bring it with us, so I think it could be still in the hospital."

"But then again," Emily took a serious turn. "did you see anyone inside the room with you?"

John stared in the space trying to collect his thoughts. "No, there was no one except me, dad and mom." He paused for a sec again. "Yes, I'm sure."

"If we cross off the possibility that it is not a prank and that indeed it is a warning or maybe a hint, what does The lady in black is next mean? Who is the note referring to?"

John shrugged. "Can I say something, Emily?" John's voice dropped as if he was in a secret club meeting not wanting anyone to know what he was saying like the walls were acting as the ears of the enemy.

"Sure,"

"If you ask me, I don't think that that whole thing was meant as a prank. I don't think that the nurse was lying. I'm having such a weird, gut-wrenching feeling that something bad, like really bad is going to happen. You haven't seen or felt the death up so close like I did in this past couple of days. I have seen the face of the devil hiding inside my sister's body - "

Hearing John's thought, she knew that he was talking about Diana's spirit, that this note root back to her. Of course! Emily began thinking. How couldn't I see it? It's not a prank. It couldn't be - well, if we talk about anyone else, it could be, but not with us. With all the things happening around us since the first encounter with the stone, it couldn't be. It's a threat note. It definitely had to be - telling us who is the next victim. Did Diana send it? But why? Why did she want us to know? Or is she playing games? Emily knew for sure that they were dealing with something bigger - bigger than what she was trying to make herself getting wrapped up in her pretend belief. We don't know who the lady is but her life is in danger. We have to stop Hannah or maybe a different body if she has possessed anyone else, but how? We don't even know who the lady is!

"- I don't know who the lady is but I could sense that something is lurking around the corner. Like it is in front of us but we just can't see it like it is hiding in the plain sight."

" Emily! John! "They heard Rose calling out for them from the dining room. "Everyone's waiting for you two at the table."

"I think mom and aunt Petunia came back. Let's go."

Just when Emily and John stepped foot inside the dining room, Emily stopped causing John to turn around, "What's wrong, Emily? Why did you suddenly stop? C'mon."

John walked backward towards Emily but she just stood there staring at the family sitting on the table.

"I think I see it," she whispered to John.

"What are you talking about?" He whispered back.

"Remember you said that it's like it is in front of us but we just couldn't see it?" she paused and pointed at one of the family members.

"Shhh," John pushed her hands down. "Don't say anything about it in front of aunt Petunia. She doesn't know anything. "

"Kids!" Petunia called out. "I know that everyone has been waiting because of me,"

"It's okay, Petunia, " David said with a smile. "It happens."

"Rose was kind enough to lend me one of her dress as mine got ruined but I know that you can't wait any longer. Come quick or else the food will get cold."

"I think I see it now." Emily continued to stand there like a statue which confused everyone.

"What's the holdup kids?" David questioned the two of them.

"And one more thing before we begin to eat," Petunia began. "John told me that Hannah was with you, Emily. But where is she?"

"I think I know what the note meant." she lifted her hands, didn't even hear what Petunia just said - like she was lost in her own thoughts. "I know who is next." She said as she pointed at Petunia who was wearing Rose's black skater dress.