Strange Cravings

A/N: This takes place on July 25th, 2018 for those of you who want to keep up with the pregnancy.

20 weeks 1 day

You had heard of every weird pregnancy food combination from the media and you always thought it was bogus. Who would eat pickles with peanut butter? Disgusting. That is, until you found yourself craving the strangest food combinations that made even the PB and pickle sound appetizing.

You stood in the kitchen of your apartment, pulling the tin of cottage cheese from the door of the refrigerator. Tom was still at work, so you were alone and therefore, no one was there to judge your strange eating habits. You had been hiding some of the from Tom since they began, only showing him the classic ones like ice cream and potato chips, but now, you were on a mission to have cottage cheese with gravy on it. You don't know why, you just know that its the one thing you want more than anything at this very moment.

You heated up some left over gravy from a meal you had made a couple days ago and poured it into the bowl over the freshly scooped cottage cheese.

"Mmmm," you hummed, licking the spoon before taking your bowl over to the couch and plopping down on the soft gray cushions.

You pulled open your copy of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and settled into the next chapter while you spooned the unruly looking food into your mouth. It hit whatever strange spot that you had and you hummed in satisfaction after each bite. You curled your legs onto the couch, finding it a little difficult to sit with your knees up as you continued to read and snack. Once the bowl was empty, you set it on the white coffee table and tried to adjust back into the couch, but you were restless. Your eyes were being pulled from the pages in short spurts, looking over at the kitchen.

"What do I want?" you whispered to yourself, glancing back at the fridge and your mouth watering as you thought about all the food that was just sitting in there, waiting to be eaten.

You hopped off the couch again and pranced towards the gray cabinets, opening the fridge with a pop. Your eyes glided across the shelves, looking for your next meal with haste. Your heart stopped when you landed on the left over chinese food that was on the middle shelf. It was Tom's from a couple days ago, but you remembered that he ordered chicken fried rice and it called to you.

You pulled out your phone and texted Tom, letting him know that his leftovers were now yours which you knew he wouldn't mind. The last thing he wanted was to upset you or the baby.

The tin was soon in your hands and being spooned onto a plate and thrown into the microwave.

As the food was cooking, the doorbell rang, eliciting a groan from you because you had to leave your food to go see who was there. You walked delicately over to the door, opening it swiftly to reveal your best friend who you hadn't seen since getting back from Germany since she was away on a business trip.

"Y/N!" she screamed, pulling you into a tight hug. You wrapped your arms around her and swayed side to side. "I missed you so much!" Y/F/N sighed contently before pulling away and holding you at arms length. "Oh my god, you're glowing!"

"I missed you too," you replied with a smile. You really did miss her. She was off doing some business training in Denmark for the last few months and the only time you could see each other was on FaceTime.

She followed you into the apartment, going on about her travels as you led her into the kitchen. The microwave was dark, signalling that your food was done cooking and you took it out excitedly, setting it onto the island.

"Oh, is that fried rice? That looks so good-" she stopped talking when you reached for the tabasco sauce that was settled on the spice rack. You shook it over the rice rapidly, watching the amount of drops that fell onto the steaming plate. "Um, are you sure you don't want soy sauce, hun?" she said cautiously, her face reading of confusion.

"I really want something spicy. Oh, I wonder if we have any jalapenos!" you squealed, going back into the fridge to find the jar.

"Man, they really weren't kidding about these weird cravings, huh?" she laughed, making you blush as you pushed the door to the fridge shut and turned back to face the island. You looked at her with big puppy dog eyes, tears welling up on the sides. "Oh, honey, I didn't mean to make you upset!" she gasped, crossing to the other side of the counter and pulling you into her arms. "You're growing a little human, you can eat whatever you want!"

"I am so upset," you hiccup, squeezing her tighter before pulling away and wiping tears from your eyes.

"Noooo, please don't cry, eat what you want," she cooed, putting a hand on your stomach and wrapping one arm around your shoulders.

"No, not from that. We don't have any jalapenos," you sniffled.