Baby Comes Home

December 10th, 2018

You had never known exhaustion until after giving birth. After making all the introductions to the family and some tears over the new addition, you passed out and Tom was left alone with Charlotte in the hospital bassinet. He rejoiced in the time he got to spend with her, getting to know her, and taking any help from the nurses he could get on how to comfort her and take good care of her.

You woke up late in the night to find Tom in the rocking chair in the corner, his shirt off and hanging on the arm of the chair, and Charlotte laying on his chest. His eyes were low, watching his little girl breathe as she slept on his chest. You couldn't contain your smile as you watched his hand rub across her back softly and come to rest on her dark hair.

"She looks like you," you whispered into the quiet room, making Tom look up with his red, but happy, eyes.

"She looks like you too," he responded, kissing her head softly and preparing to stand up and bring her to you so you could feed her.

She woke up when Tom stood, and she started to whimper in his arms. He sushed her softly, but you knew she was just hungry. When Tom passed her to you, her whimpering stopped almost the second she came into contact with your skin. Tom smiled, watching as she latched onto your breast on the first try and you looked like the most natural mother in the world.

Dr. Wyatt wanted to keep you one more day in the hospital to make sure your sutures didn't get infected, but you and Tom were able to take Charlotte home two days after she was born. Nikki and Dom were waiting for you both at the apartment already, getting it ready and bringing over pre-prepared food for you both since you were exhausted.

Her small body fit perfectly into the car seat in the Tom's car, and you decided to sit in back with her on the short ride home, fearing that the new experience would scare her, but she slept through it all.

You pulled up to the apartment and you took the carrier inside while Tom followed with the hospital bags.

You opened the door and saw all the food that was left on the counter and Dom had went ahead and set up the new swing that you got at your baby shower. The familiar smell of the apartment was welcomed by you, and you were just happy to be home with your new little family.

Tessa approached you timidly, probably smelling the new little person that came home with you. You set the carrier onto the floor and bent down to grab Tess's collar so that she could smell the baby, but not wake her up.

"This is your sister," you cooed softly to Tess, and her tail was going a mile a minute. Tom chuckled when he walked in the door to see you already introducing them to each other.

"You want me to get you some food?" Tom asked on his way to the bedroom to put the bags away.

"Sure, I have to feed the baby in about 30 minutes so I better eat now. Nothing spicy though," you said back, as softly as you could as you attempted to remove the baby from the carrier and set in her the bassinet that was settled in the corner of the living room. She didn't wake up when you lifted her and you thanked the lord that it didn't seem like she had Tom's light-sleeping habit.

The day progressed and, while you still had to wake up and feed Charlotte every two hours at night, you pumped enough so that Tom could feed her a couple times as well.

You decided on tag teaming it, so every other feeding you'd go, and Tom would take the rest. It was easy at first, after the first feeding, you had trouble getting back to sleep. You woke up to see that Tom was out of bed, and it was 3:30am. You heard his voice over the baby monitor, but you couldn't quite pick up what he was saying.

You turned over groggily and put your feet on the cool wood floors. After a stretch, you decided to go and see if Tom wanted to come back to sleep since you couldn't sleep anyway.

You trudged across the hall to the nursery, seeing the little lamp was on in the corner of the room, and Tom was sitting in the rocking chair, with his daughter in his arms and a bottle in her mouth.

"- Dancin' in the dark, with you between my arms. Barefoot on the grass, listenin' to our favorite song-" Tom sang softly as her eyes fluttered shut and she suckled on the bottle sweetly.

Your heart swelled at the sight. Tom barely ever sang in front of anyone, even you and this just confirmed that you made a family with the right man. You leaned against the door frame, listening and watching the father-daughter relationship build in front of you.

"You're perfect, Charlie," Tom whispered as one of his fingers grazed her hair across her little forehead. He hadn't noticed you in the doorway yet, but you didn't want to break up this sweet moment, so you decided to head into the kitchen and make Tom some tea.

You walked along the dark hallway, the only light coming from the nursery behind you and you tried your hardest not to trip over any of the new baby toys that littered the living room.

You finally made it to the kitchen and as you put the kettle on the stove, Tom startled you.

"What're you doing up?" he asked softly, and you assumed he had put the baby back down since he was holding the baby monitor in his hand.

"Couldn't sleep. Thought you might want some tea," you smiled at him and he nodded, leaning his body over the counter. The poor thing looked exhausted. There were bags under his eyes and they were bloodshot, but he looked content.

"So, we're calling her Charlie?" you smirked, letting him know that you heard his little conversation with her.

"Well, I mean, its a cute nickname I thought, I mean since my name's technically Thomas and they call me Tom-"

"I like it," you grin, handing him his mug and leaning across the counter to kiss his lips.