The Heir of Slytherin Part 1

I was standing at the end of a long, dimly lit chamber. Towering stone pillars intertwined with more carved serpents rose to support a ceiling lost in darkness, casting long, black shadows through the odd, greenish gloom that filled the place. My heart was beating faster than I thought possible and my mouth was as dry as a desert and I stood there listening to the chill silence. Could the basilisk be lurking in a shadowy corner, behind one of those pillars? And where is (Y/N) and Ginny?

I pulled out my wand and moved forward between the serpent columns. Every careful footstep echoed off the shadowy walls. I kept my eyes narrowed, ready to clamp them shut at the smallest sign of movement. The hollow eye sockets of the stone snakes seemed to be following my every move, it was unsettling.

Then, as I drew level with the last two columns, a statue as high as the chamber itself loomed into view standing against the back wall and I had to crane my neck to see all of it. It was ancient and monkey-like, with a long, thin beard that fell almost to the bottom of the wizards sweeping stone robes, where two enormous gray feet stood on the smooth chamber floor. And in between the feet were two figures. One laying face down and the other lying face up, with their hands, clasped at the center of their stomach...Ginny and (Y/N).

"(Y/N), GINNY." I shouted, not caring if the creature heard me. I ran forward and dropped to my knees in front of them, dropping my wand in the process. I looked over (Y/N) first, she was completely fine besides the fact that her hair looked wilder, the fact that it was almost black, her skin was a few shades paler and when I checked her eyes, they were a fiery, enraged blood red streaked with a bright, glittery silver. Ginny, however, looked and felt like she was dying. "Come on you two, don't die on me now. You can't die on me now." I whispered desperately, tears almost slipping out of my eyes.

"They won't wake." Came a soft but strong voice. I jumped and spun around on my knees. A tall, dark-haired boy was leaning against one of the nearest pillars, watching. He was strangely blurred around the edges like I was looking at him through a window, but there was no mistaking him, "Tom-Tom Riddle?"

He nodded. "What do you mean they won't wake?" I said desperately. "They're, They're not..." "They're still alive, one of them far from it, the other only just." I stared at him and let out a breath of relief. Tom Riddle had been at Hogwarts fifty years ago, yet here he stood, a weird, misty light shining about him, not a day older than sixteen. "Are you a ghost?" I asked him. "A memory preserved in a diary for fifty years." He pointed towards a little black diary lying there open. How did that get there? It doesn't matter, I have more pressing matters to attend to. I thought to myself, shaking my head "Come on Tom, I'll get Ginny, you get (Y/N). Now, where's my wand..." I said, trailing off when I saw him twirling it around in his long fingers.

A smile curled on Riddle's mouth. He continued to stare at me, occasionally glancing at (Y/N) while twirling my wand between his fingers idly.

"Listen." I told him more urgently, "If we don't get out of here before the basilisk comes-" I started, but was cut off by Riddle, "It won't come until it's called. But I will need your wand, Harry." He calmly told me, pointing my wand at me. I lowered (Y/N) back down to the floor, unable to hold her weight (because of some of the armor) anymore. "What do you mean? Why would I give you my wand?" I said. His smile broadened. "You won't be needing it, besides I need yours specifically Harry." He told me. I was losing my patience with him and after a short lecture, all he did was pocket my wand and smile.

I stared at him and pinched the bridge of my nose for a moment. There was definitely something funny going on here.

"How did they get like this?" I asked hesitantly. "Well, it's an interesting question and quite a long story for one of them. (Y/N) looked the creature in the eyes with those blazing red and bright silver ones she has now, so she was put under a sleeping spell after neither dropping dead or being petrified. And let's just say, Ginny, got like this because she spilled out all her feelings to an invisible stranger." He finished. "What're you talking about?" I asked. "The diary." He said.

"My diary. Little Ginny here has been writing in it for months and months, telling me all her pitiful worries and woes-how her brothers tease her, how she had come to school with secondhand robes and books, how-"Riddles' eyes glinted-" how she didn't think the good, great, famous Harry Potter would like her..." All the time Riddle spoke, his eyes never left Harry's face. When he looked over at (Y/N), there was an almost animalistic hungry look in them that made my blood boil, but I bit my tongue.

"It's very boring, having to listen to silly little troubles of an eleven-year-old girl. But I was patient. I wrote back. I was sympathetic, I was kind. Ginny simply loved me, No one's ever understood me like you, Tom, besides (Y/N)... I'm so glad I have got this diary and (Y/N) to confide in... It's like having a friend I can carry around with me in my pocket..." Riddle laughed a high, cold laugh that didn't suit him. He then looked over at (Y/N).

"But she seemed to know what I was doing, what I was planning. She warned Ginny multiple times about my diary. Finally, Ginny listened to her warnings and tried to find a way to get rid of my diary, but left it in (Y/N)s possession. Despite my charm and good looks, she never let me into her heart or mind. She was completely inaccessible, which is what intrigued me about her, quite unique she is." He said, taking a step forwards and tucking a strand of (Y/N)s hair behind her ear, an action that made me clench my jaw a little.

I wasn't listening to the rest of his monologue, I was too enraged at the torture he'd put both (Y/N) and Ginny through, well, I wasn't listening until I heard him say, "For months now, my target hasn't been the mudbloods, but you and (Y/N)." I felt rage flow through my veins again, "So, I made Ginny kidnap her best friend, write her own farewell and come down here to wait. Of course, she struggled and cried, but that quickly became boring. There isn't much life left in her, and (Y/N) won't be here in a little while, for I'll be taking her with me." He said, a triumphant smirk on his face.

"Ginny put so much into the pages, enough to let me leave them...I've been waiting for you to appear since we arrived here. I knew you'd come. I have many questions for you, Harry Potter." He told me. "What types of questions?" I asked. "How is it that you a skinny, shaggy-haired boy managed to defeat the greatest wizard of all time? How did you escape with nothing but a scar, while Lord Voldemort's powers were destroyed?" There was an odd red gleam in his eyes now. "But Voldemort was after your time," I pointed out. "Voldemort is my past, present, and future, Harry Potter." He stated. He pulled my wand from his pocket and began to trace it through the air, writing three shimmering words, TOM MARVOLLO RIDDLE, he waved the wand once, and the letters of his name rearranged themselves, I AM LORD VOLDEMORT, it now read.

"You see? It was a name I was already using at Hogwarts, to my most intimate friends only, of course, like for example, (Y/N)s grandmother, Summer. You think I was going to use my filthy Muggle father's name forever? I, in whose veins runs the blood of Salazar Slytherin himself, through my mother's side? I, keep the foul, common Muggle name of the Muggle who abandoned me even before I was born, just because he found out his wife was a witch? No, Harry-I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew witches and wizards would one day fear to speak when I become the greatest sorcerer in the world!" "Your not," I said in a quiet voice. "What?" He asked, agitated. "Albus Dumbledore, (Y/N)'s grandfather, is the greatest sorcerer in the world," I told him.

Tom continued to monologue until they heard soft music and loud roars and growls coming from far away and Riddle froze with his mouth open. Finally, the music and roars reached them and Fawkes, Adara, and Nightmare appeared. Fawkes dropped the Sorting Hat into Harry's lap while Adara and Nightmare landed next to (Y/N), both covering her with their wings, not letting anyone near the unconscious girl and Adara dropped Harbinger near (Y/N)s right hand.

"Those are phoenixes...and a dragon," Riddle stated, momentarily bewildered, before smirking. "So this is what the great Dumbledore has sent to aid you. One songbird, a raggedy old hat and two creatures that aren't even defending you." He said with a chuckle. "Speak to me, Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts four houses." I wheeled around in horror to see Slytherin's face moving. I saw his mouth open to make a giant black hole appear, something was stirring inside its mouth and finally came slithering out. I backed away until I hit the dark chamber wall. I heard something heavy drop onto the floor and felt it shudder-I knew what was happening, I could sense it, I could almost see the serpent uncoiling itself from Slytherin's mouth. Then I heard Riddles voice hiss, "Kill him."