16: Revenge.

Jamaal.

Caspian was pacing, somehow having enough energy to pace in fury. Anger did that to a man, made him too focused on fuming to realize they were about to collapse in exhaustion.

Jamaal stared at the fire. He didn’t blame him though, what they’d seen tonight was enough to make anyone’s blood boil. He glanced over at Isidro, who lay on his stomach, wounds still exposed as he waited for treatment.

The physician was busily running about, treating wounds and burns. Several villagers were helping, including the priest, who finally came over to where Isidro lay.

“Jamaal, Hiram, nice to meet you two again. Isidro, what is with you and fire, my friend?” The man teased, having treated him for burns in the past.

“I must be cursed.” Their leader grumbled, barely awake. The older man smiled, but Jamaal could read the concern in his eyes.

“Then perhaps you shouldn’t spend too much time near the King?” The man may have been a priest, but he was sharp. Isidro just smirked, then flinched as the man began to apply a salve to his burns.

Jamaal turned his attention back to Caspian, who was still pacing, eyes narrowed as he glared at the dirt. “My King,” He began, getting his friend’s attention. “-you cannot plan if you drive yourself to insanity first. Please relax, save the planning for tomorrow.” He suggested. Caspian blinked, then sigh, joining them.

“This challenge will not go unanswered.” He vowed, sitting. Somehow, it was good to see Caspian fired up. The peace had been good for Rayndra, but the king had been restless having to stay at the castle and lacking more intense work.

Footsteps approached, and Jamaal turned to find one of the knights approaching.

“Darias! How is the new apprentice working out?” Hiram greeted as the man joined them.

“Very good, he certainly has far more skill than any other apprentice his age. I can see him becoming a great knight.” Darias paused, frowning slightly. “However, I must say I do not approve of whatever tactics were used by his old master to train him. Had he been there much longer, I think he would’ve been permanently broken.” He shook his head, anger surfacing in his expression.

“How so?”

“He wasn’t encouraged to think. He wasn’t encouraged to learn the way he needed to, only the way he was told to. There was also no trust between master and apprentice. He’s weary.”

“I noticed the same thing.” Jamaal agreed quietly. “He has no confidence in much of what he does. Has he showed any sign of becoming more comfortable here?” The kid had been with them three weeks now, long enough to get used to the place, at least a little.

But Darias shook his head. “The only places I’ve seen confidence is when he handles a sword or horses. But the moment there’s another person involved his confidence crumbles and he hides inside that blank expression again. I’m worried he’s going to get sick yet, he’s so nervous he barely eats.”

By now Caspian had been drawn out of his rage and was listening carefully. “Have you done anything other than training with him?”

“My King,” Darias began carefully, smiling. “-with all that’s been going on, we have had time for nothing else.” Jamaal smiled, glad his friend had forgotten for a moment about all the battles the last three weeks had held. Caspian blinked.

“Right.” He paused a moment. “After we return to the castle and rest a bit, I am ordering you to take him away from the barracks for a while, toss him in the river or something.” There was a smile in his voice, even though it didn’t quite reach his face.