17: Fear.

“Be swift, and be careful. Pay attention to everything around you, and if someone should threaton you, remind them of the treaty.” Isidro instructed the messanger. He nodded to the two knights escorting him through No-Man’s-Land. “Remember, the message you carry is crucial to Rayndra.”

“Yes sir.” The men bowed, leapt onto their horses, and took off at a brisk jog. Isidro watched them disappear.

The last two weeks had been filled with battle, and many men had been injured. The message they had sent was meant to rid them of the criminals hiding outside their walls. He turned and returned to the castle.

Caspian was standing on a balcony, looking out over the kingdom. “Sir?” The King turned. “It is done.”

“Good.” Caspian murmered, turning back to stare at the city. They were silent several moments. “The people are nervous.” He stated quietly.

Isidro remained silent, studying his friend. The strain was clear, yet he was keeping his wits about him. The old King was right about him.

“It is time to make rounds in the city, assure the people that all is well. We will admit only to what they already know, and offer only that we are making preparations to destroy the opposition.”

“Yes sir. I will find Jamaal and Hiram, and prepare the horses.”

“Wait.” Caspian stopped him. “I want you to stay here. You shouldn’t be riding, and there should be someone here in case there is another attack.”

“Yes sir.” Isidro bowed his head, still unable to bow properly. Inwardly he felt frustrated, but the King had a good point about someone being ready for attacks, so he didn’t argue. He found Jamaal sparing Herschel, with Hiram and Darian watching.

Herschel ducked the sword, somehow grabbed the hand, and elbowed Jamaal in the stomach, bringing his fist up to hit his face. Although he could see the kid held back, Isidro knew the blow would still stun a man.

The older warrior reeled from the blows, losing his grip on the sword. Isidro’s eyes narrowed as he watched. Jamaal had been caught offguard.

Herschel spun around, swinging the broadside of his sword at Jamaal’s head. The older warrior easily ducked it, regaining his balance and kicking the boy’s legs out from under him. He hit the ground, but managed to keep his blade raised, blocking any blows that might rain down on him.

Jamaal chose a different tactic, lacking a sword, and kicked the hand, knocking the weapon to the side and pounced. He immediatly grabbed the hand, twisting the sword away and tossing it to the side. Once the weapons were out of the way, the fight ended very quickly, Jamaal having the advantage of size, weight, and expirience. The round ended with the older warrior faking breaking Herschel’s neck.

Isidro clapped his approval, surprising the group, who hadn’t noticed him watching. Jamaal stood and pulled the young warrior to his feet.

“I think we should add him.” Jamaal said, turning to Hiram, who also nodded. They both looked over to Isidro for approval, while Herschel and Darian looked confused. The leader of The Three studied the young warrior. He agreed whole heartedly about adding Darian to their secret class of warriors, but Herschel?

Adding someone who had, just weeks ago, been a soldier to the barbarian who took King Caspian prisoner… it was far from typical. Then again, so was allowing him into the kingdom, let alone let him be a knight’s apprentace. He looked towards the castle, rubbing his neck. The kid had risked his life to save the king…

What would the old king say? He needed the counsel of someone much wiser than himself. What if the kid was a spy? His gut told him the kid was innocent, but how many times had he chosen to trust someone and was betrayed? Caspian was a thief, and the son of  two criminals, one of which is now likely a barbarian, yet the old king chose him to take care of Rayndra. Circumstances and pasts don’t have to define the future.

He had to agree, somehow it felt like following the old king’s legacy. He nodded at last. “Yes. Herschel and Darian will join the Black Knights.”
------------
Author note:
I know, these must be so annoying. But I want to hear from you!

So tell me; what do you think is going to happen?

Yes, I have a plan, and all is going according to my plans. So if things start to feel like I'm rambling, don't worry, with each chapter the story will become more interesting and complex.

So; I'm considering killing someone off... Who votes for Herschel dying?