45: Loose Lips Sink Ships.

* * *
Herschel.

Pain. That was the first thing he was aware of. Had he known it would get worse when he revealed that he was conscious, he never would have opened his eyes.

Now he was watching his torturor pacing back and forth. He'd been found lying in the snow by the very men he'd been following, and had been brought back to their secret layer. It was actually a cellar, or so he suspected based on the dirt walls and crates stacked against the wall.

He was tied to a chair in the middle of the room, and there was one lantern lit, which was so dim it barely made the corners of the room visable. But it was enough to know that the man before him was a barbarian he used to train with.

The man was waiting for something, or someone, it seemed. Herschel just watched silently as he paced back and forth, nervousness seeming to radiate off him in waves. But why was he nervous? He wasn't the prisoner.

Suddenly a door opened with a loud bang, causing them both to jump. Light filtered down the steps, followed by a large shadow. But it was when the man spoke, that Herschel's stomach turned to water.

He could have recognized that voice anywhere. It was Damon, his old master. The one who he had betrayed. He swallowed as the man made his way into the cellar, his focus on the rack of home-made torture weapons.

Herschel closed his eyes as the man picked one up. Loose lips sink ships... He repeated in his head, remembering an old sailors' tale.

"You dog, look me in the eye!" Damon dared.

Herschel slowly opened his eyes, finding the barbarian's gaze. He was rewarded with a sharp backhand across the face. He felt his neck pop with the sudden force of the blow. But he forced himself to meet the man's gaze again...

* * *
Isidro.

"My King!" Isidro called, bursting into the study room in which Caspian calmly sat, studying that map again. The King looked up, but didn't react beyond that.

"We've just received word that Damon and Thaddias are still very much alive, and have at least several men with them." He explained hurriedly, mind racing for their next course of action.

To his complete surprise, Caspian just leaned back in his chair, nodding slightly as he frowned. "How interesting..." He muttered.

Isidro glanced at Hiram, who shrugged incrediously. They waited a few moments, but nothing happened. His friend just sat there, tapping his lip and frowning.

He waited a moment longer before sitting, fully expecting the King to do something. Finally he could wait no more. "Sir?"

Caspian blinked, distracted from his thoughts, and looked up. "Is there more?" He asked.

Isidro glanced at Hiram again, unsure. Had his friend finally snapped? "Well, I thought you would want to do something about it... Perhaps alert the members of the Treaty?" He suggested carefully.

Caspian shook his head. "No that won't be neccessary."

Is he smirking?! He frowned. The King wouldn't smirk about this, would he? But the more he watched his friend, the more certain he was that the man was slightly amused.

"Shall we double the guards?" Hiram asked, also feeling the situation out.

Caspian shook his head again, managing to stay more serious. "No, no changes are needed. Just get what information you can and keep this thing quiet. Act like all is the same." He instructed, standing abruptly and rolling up the map he'd been looking at. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have a meeting with the Princess."