51: When Lightning Strikes.

*     *    *
Tamar.

Caspian offered a hand, which she accepted, allowing him to help her down from the window ledge. He closed the window behind her just as the rain began to fall rapidly, sending a gentle rumbling sound throughout the castle as the drops pelted the roof.

They had decided to return indoors to avoid the gathering storm, and had been just in time. Caspian leaded close to the glass, peering out. He let out a low whistle. “Glad we came in when we did.”

She tilted her head. “Don’t like water?” She teased, laughing at the mock look of horror he sent her way.

“You do?!” He exclaimed, still in character.

She shrugged. “I don’t fear it.”

He grabbed his chest, stumbling back. “You wound me!” He said dramatically, face twisting in a childish impression of agony.

She rolled her eyes and elbowed him. “Wounded your pride, maybe.”

He straightened and grinned, shaking a finger at her. “Same thing.” He shrugged. Just then she heard the changing of the guard, a warning that it was nearly midnight.

He glanced in the direction of the noise. “Well, I think I’d better get you back to your babysitter before I get in trouble with him.” He said reluctantly, offering an elbow.

Tamar smiled, a little taken-aback, but covered it quickly and accepted. How his people could doubt him, I don’t know. The only explination she could think of, was that they didn’t really know him.

They were silent during the walk through the halls, but it was a comfortable silence, the kind that comes after a long day. They arrived at the door to her room, and she turned to him. He was watching her intently, but somehow it didn’t make her uncomfortable.

She smiled up at him. “Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, my Lady.” He bowed, then quickly left.

She knew he was probably going to get more work done, as he often did, but didn’t have the energy to stay up with him. “I thought I’d find you here…” The memory of his words brought a smile to her lips. He’d seeked her out. She turned and opened her door, then froze.

Isidro stood by the window, arms crossed. Waiting. “Where have you been?”

She slowly smiled again, amused. “Walking around.”

“Since dusk?”

“I was safe, I had the escort of a knight.” The King, actually. She watched as he raised an eyebrow, his shoulders relaxing slightly.

He sighed, running a hand through his hair. “I wish you’d told me.” His gaze dropped to the floor.

Her heart softened, amusement draining away. He’d been worried. She approached him, regaining his attention. “I’m sorry, I didn’t think I would be gone so long.”

He blinked in surprise, then looked away again, nodding. Without a word, he turned and walked to the adjoining door between her room and his, which was there to ensure he could easily reach her if needed.

He opened the door and paused, turning back to her. “Sleep well, Princess.” Then he was gone, closing the door behind him.

She smiled, turning to study her room. Over the last week it had been redecorated, a mixture of white and dark wood. On a table in the corner sat a simple, clear glass vase filled with white daisies. She fingered a petal, then turned to the window, looking out at the city once again. She was eager to restore it to a beauty beyond it’s former ages.