22: Another Message.

Caspian.

The men finally arrived in a small village near the border, but, they hoped, a safe distance. He didn’t expect another attack too soon, as over half the enemy’s forces had been destroyed. And it was only thanks to the backup plan he had created.

Caspian and The Three had felt extremely uncomfortable trusting Thaddias or his men, so they had sent only fourty knights. They had set up another forty nearby, ready to act if needed. The leader of each team was given a horn and instructions to blow it if they were double-crossed. They had defeated the ambush by setting up their own.

Now Caspian was more glad then ever before that he had listened to his instincts, and those of his men. But it was a bittersweet victory. While they had succeeded in, at the very least, weakening the barbarians, they had a new and far more powerful enemy.

He scanned the eighty men around him. Three were dead, likely another thirty or so injured. The villagers had graciously opened up their homes for the group, and the houses were being used for treating wounds mostly. Many of the villagers were running around, helping the physician treat all the men, feeding those who were not busy with other tasks, and offering blankets and garments.

Several men from the village volunteered to bury the dead, and Caspian accepted the offer. Normally he would make it a public ceremony so the people could honor the dead, but there was simply no time for it.

He stood and paced, fury still in his veins. Every bone in his body wanted to call upon the neighboring kingdoms, call down their wrath on Adrelawin. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do, but right now he didn’t have time to think about it too much. The men needed him.

He moved around, figuring out who was hurt and how badly. He helped move the injured into homes where they would be treated. He located Darian, who was also helping with the injured. “Where’s Herschel?”

“Helping elsewhere. There’s a lot of casualties.” Darian answered, winded. The warrior was bleeding from his upper arm, though it didn’t seem to stop him from using the limb. Caspian stopped him with a hand, moving to his side.

“Let me look at that.” He ordered, moving the man’s cloak out of the way and shifting the armor to get a clearer view. The wound was fairly deep, caused by a slashing motion. Not nearly as bad as some.

Caspian sighed and looked around. They still had a few more injured to haul in. “As soon as we’re done moving them inside you’re getting that treated.”

“Yes sir.” Darian didn’t sound thrilled, but certainly couldn’t argue. “Have you heard about Hiram?”

The king froze. “No. What of him?” Don’t be dead, just don’t be dead. He didn’t know if he could handle that, certainly not right now.

“He’s in bad shape, a dagger messed him up pretty good. I haven’t seen him since we crossed the border, but…” His voice faded and he shrugged.

Caspian glanced back to the men who were still out in the cold. “Let's just get the men inside, then I’m tracking him down.” He muttered, anger building in his chest. “Men!” He raised his voice over the storm, getting the attention of those standing around. “Move the remaining injured into these two huts, then go to the church for food and rest until further notice.”

“Yes sir.” The men chorased, gathering their equipment and helping the injured. The moment the last man was inside the church, he broke away from the group, moving from house to house, making note of where each injured man was staying.

He was well aware of the stares of the villagers as he hurried past, but his urgency pushed him to keep moving. There would be time to mingle later. Finally he arrived at the right hut. He knew it the moment he entered. Isidro and Jamaal sat there, quietly talking.

They looked up as he hurriedly entered, closing the door behind himself and removing his hood. “I just heard. How is he?” Caspian asked, voice hushed as he joined them.

Isidro shook his head. “Not good. The trip…” His voice faded and he just shook his head again.

Caspian roughed a hand over his face, feeling the sting of frostbite. He couldn’t sit still and stood to pace, mind spinning. He was sweating, in spite of the cold he’d just been in, his anger turning his blood boiling hot. Thaddias betrayed me.

“Sir.” Jamaal’s hesitant voice cut through his thoughts. He turned, meeting his bodyguard’s gaze. “Did Thaddias order this, or did his men rebel?”

It was a good question, one he had been too angry to consider. Caspian sigh, turning to stare out the window, deep in thought. “I would love to say his men rebelled. It would be much simpler to deal with.” He admitted.

“But?”

“But I cannot believe that.” He returned to his seat, rubbing his eyes. “I’m not sure what I want to believe. It would be best for Rayndra for this to be mere rebellion. But at the same time, there’s a part of me that almost wants this to be Thaddias. He is cruel, unjust.” He paused, realizing how stupid it sounded. “I suppose I am being unjust in hoping he loses his kingdom.”

Jamaal slowly nodded. “I cannot say it is a good thing to hope for, but it is understandable. But to want this to be Thaddias asking for a war… It isn’t logical.”

“Indeed.” Caspian sigh. “If only emotions were logical, this world would be a better place.” He began tapping his knee, antsy again.

He knew he couldn’t sit still until the matter was more or less sorted, so he found a paper and quill, taking a seat at the nearby table.

King Thaddias, reigning King of Adrelawin,

I write to you in great distress. I see now that honesty is a virtue rarely used, one that I am requesting now.

It appears that our negotiations have failed. My men were betrayed by your knights. If you were unaware of this fact, mention it in your reply. If you ordered it, I demand to know your reasons.

We have lived in peace for a long time, and our people have thrived because of it. Do not jeperdize it now.

My hope is that we can resolve this issue peacefully. Honor the deal. Do not force me to go to war. I leave the choice in your hands.

Signed,
King Caspian of Rayndra

Caspian set down the quil and used his seal, marking it as his own words. It is done. Thaddias must make his choice. He stood, pacing once more. The howling wind outside mirrored the deafening battle in his head…