28: Darkness.

*     *    *
Tamar.

She stared at the spot where Isidro had broken through, fighting a sense of panic. He’d briefly resurfaced, but was quicky dragged down again and was now gone, along with his horse, sucked beneath the current.

She took several quick breaths and figured out which way the current was going, cautiously crossing to the other side. She moved along the river bank, scanning the ice for something, anything.

Moments passed, she saw nothing. The world was strangly silent, as though watching with her. It was deafening to listen to. The calmness of the world taunted her, too normal, as though the world was trying to cover up the fact that a man was about to die…

*   *   *
Herschel.

The men were angry, that much could be felt in the very air. The black knights gathered around Hiram and Jamaal, their leaders, their trainers. The sight of the injured men only added to their anger.

Jamaal had only just regained consciousness, and had demanded to be placed with Hiram. Caspian joined them after a few moments, gaining the attention of the knights. Everyone turned to face them.

“I’ve only just learned of this group, and I only wish Isidro was here so that I could thank each of The Three. You created something that we now need desperately.” Caspian’s gaze moved from Jamaal to Hiram, gratitued filling his eyes. Then he returned his focus to the men.

“I’ve been planning a counter attack. We cannot sit and hide like helpless children waiting for help to arrive. We must do what we can to take back what is ours.” He paused as the men raised fists in silent agreement.

“I want us to capture Thaddias, use him against his men.” Surprise filled the room, and Herschel caught the glance between Hiram and Jamaal. Not even The Three had known of this backup plan. Herschel was beginning to think this King never ran out of tricks. He struggled to listen again, resisting the urge to count how many backup plans they’d gone through already.

“I need you men to locate him. You’ll use the secret tunnels throughout the city, divide the map among yourselves and search the area.” Caspian paused, looking each man in the eye. “If you are spotted, your highest priority is to ensure they don’t find the tunnel entrance. Whatever the cost.”

There was a somber silence as the King’s words sunk in. If any man were to be spotted, he could not use the tunnel for an easy escape. He would have to draw their attention away from the secret entrance, whatever the cost. It was a suicide mission.

One of the men drew his sword, the sound drawing the attention of everyone.”For Rayndra.” He declared, dropping to a knee and bowing. Herschel and Darias copied him, repeating the declaration, as did each of the men.

He waited there, head lowered as he waited for the King’s next words. “Thank you, each of you.” Caspian had to clear his throat, shocked by the absolute loyalty of his men. “Rise, please. Here is your map, your team leader will divide it, I need to go check on the others. I leave locating Thaddias to you, the Black Knights.”

*    *   *
Mardinez.

The cold air stung his throat, feeling as though it was freezing his insides. His lungs screamed as he drew in yet another breath, aching from the chill. The snow was deeper in this area, knee deep for the horses, and they’d been forced to move a bit slower.

The two knights with him were tense, nervous. He supposed they had a right to be, the Kingdom’s survival depended on the delivery of this message. Mardinez thought of his family, hiding inside the walls of one of Rayndra’s many castles. Thaddias will rue the day he decided to attack my home!