39: The Offer.

*    *   *
Tamar.

“-start work on changing the interior of the castle. Then we focus on rebuilding Rayndra. Isidro will direct the men there, and Jamaal will oversee the work here in Adrelawin. Both of you will report to me for final decisions on whatever you deem neccissary…”

Her thoughts wondered back to last night as she watched the men talking. Now that side of Caspian was hidden once again, vanished behind the mask of a strong, confident King.

She couldn’t help but wonder if The Three were even aware of their friend’s feelings of guilt. She still grappled with the concept of what had transpired. Caspian was responsible for what happened, but somehow not guilty.

Her entire perspective of responsibility and guilt had had to change. In the past, she’d thought the two were the same, but now she knew that they were very different, as different as day and night. One represented evil, and the other good.

“The Royal Knights will remain in the castle of Adrelawin with you and the Princess. The Black Knights are needed elsewhere.” Tamar perked up as Isidro spoke. She watched as he exchanged a look with Hiram.

Her eyes narrowed. There was something they weren’t saying. Caspian seemed to catch on too, glancing at the pair of them. His expression didn’t change, but she could see him carefully considering the two.

After a few moments of awkward silence, Caspian nodded, accepting Isidro’s words without question. The decision showed a trust between the men, which somehow still surprised her, even though she had no reason to doubt them.

Caspian stood, the men copying him. “If there is nothing further to discuss, I will let you get on with it.”

He’s dismissing them. Tamar blinked at the realization, fighting the urge to tilt her head in curiousity. The Three exchanged glances, also picking up on the fact, before grabbing their robes and hurrying out.

They were silent for a few moments. “Is there something on your mind, my King?” She finally asked.

Caspain turned to her, though it took a moment for him to answer. “As a matter of fact, there is.” He hesitated, approaching her and pulling up a stool, sitting at her right side, turned to face her. He studied her a moment, then dropped his gaze to study the floor.

She had never seen him at a loss for words, but there was a first time for everything, and this was that first. She thought a moment, trying to figure out if there was something she needed to say to help initiate the conversation. But before she could decide on anything, he took a deep breath.

“I’ve been thinking a lot over the past few days about the future for Rayndra, and about the past…” He lifted his eyes and met her gaze. “And the fact is; you are the rightful ruler of Rayndra.”

She studied his eyes, trying to discern what he was talking about, where this was going. Her heart sped up a bit, sensing something important coming. He swallowed, hesitating again.

“I would like to restore you to your rightful place. If you are willing, I will teach you whatever you need to know, and then I will step down, leaving you as the sole ruler of Rayndra.”

Tamar found her mind frozen, blank. She stared at him a few moments, then forced herself to blink, trying to wake her mind. She averted her gaze, unable to think staring at those brown eyes. Slowly, she stood and walked away, trying to think of what life as Queen would be like.

She moved to a tent window and pulled the flap open slightly, peering out at what remained of her father’s Kingdom.

Over the past several weeks, she’d seen the pressures of ruling a Kingdom, from the perspective of someone merely living in the same castle as the King. But to rule, herself… How much didn’t she see?