Chapter 65: The Final Mission.

*       *     *
Isidro.

It had been a long time since he'd dressed as a regular traveler, but he enjoyed it at times. He could be more relaxed this way, as he was not a visual representation of the King. And he was in a foreign land, where he was less likely to be recognized.

Nevertheless, he kept his hood on, hiding his face from most. He had spent a great deal of time in the city of Adrelawin, and could still be recognized. 

Eyes lingered on him as he passed. His steed was too great for a normal traveler, and his sword was that of a great swordsmen. But none approached, fearful of the dark rider. He pretended not to notice and made his way directly to the castle.

Guards raised their weapons as he neared, and a man called for him to halt. Isidro stopped his steed and glanced up at the man. All around on the high walls, archers were on high alert, crossbows lowered and aimed in his direction. 

The man approached him, sword in hand. "Why have you approached the castle gate?"

Isidro kept his head down, still allowing the hood to hide his face. "I have come with a message for a man named Sinati."

"What message?" He asked, but Isidro shook his head.

"I am to share it only with the man himself. Take me to him, or call him out to me." He ordered. The guard was taken aback by his confident tone, and seemed disgusted. But he turned away and motioned to his assistant, who hurried off.

Isidro sat there, waiting while all weapons remained pointed at him. He smirked as the guards shifted nervously. He imagined calling them each by name and correcting their stances, which were slightly off. But as he was considering doing this, the assistant returned with the old warrior following.

The moment the warrior saw the steed, a grin broke out on his old, wrinkled face. Then his gaze wandered over the many guards. "Stand your men down! And look at their postures, they're worthy of mockery, should anyone intelligent come along." Sinati shook his head in shame of them.

Then he motioned Isidro, who dismounted and followed him into the castle grounds. They went to the meeting room, where strategic planning was done. He left his horse tied outside.

Once seated, he found Sinati studying him carefully. But he knew better than to ask what was going through the old warrior's mind, having been on the receiving end of confusing riddles far too many times. Instead he studied the man right back, trying to read the thoughts that lay beneath that keen gaze.

But alas, the old man was far more practiced in reading the minds of knights, and Isidro saw his gaze relax as he appeared to figure out his visitor's purposes. "What brings you here, my friend?" Sinati asked, leaning back in his seat.

"Several things, but first, how is the Queen?"

The old warrior smiled in amusement at the small talk. "She is well, and would probably like to see you. Adrelawin has done well in the weeks since you left, and the locals are learning to trust their new ruler. And what of Caspian?"

"I'd like it if she not know I am here, or anyone else for that matter. As for Caspian," He leaned back in his seat, crossed his arms and frowned. Sinati's gaze shifted slightly, as though preparing for whatever he was about to hear. "-his rule is as strong as ever, and he has regained the trust of the people. But he is different."

The King's old master remained as he was, though there was a look in his gaze that Isidro had not yet seen. There was concern, yes, but also something else... It was as though the old warrior had known this was coming for a long time. But he remained silent until Isidro had finished listing the changes to him, then slowly spoke, as though sharing a long kept secret.

"One thing that The Three do not yet seem to understand about Caspian, is that he has never had a close connection with anyone. He grew up in isolation from the world, and then he lived among knights and great men." Sinati's eyes held warning in them, warning that his words were not to be spoken again by any.

"As his friend, you may have been blinded to it, but as his mentor, I have seen it. He longs for what he lost. Before, he was too busy to realize it, but now I believe he is beginning to."

Isidro nodded. "That is the conclusion we came to."

"The Three?" Sinati asked, a hint of surprise in his eyes. 

"Hiram, actually."

The surprise grew in the old warrior's face, and suddenly he laughed. "Hiram? The fierce warrior understands the heart?! And before Jamaal, nonetheless!" He laughed again, shaking his head. "Well I see the war has grown The Three, in ways I might not have imagined!" 

Isidro allowed himself to smile, realizing how strange it truly sounded. "Well somehow, he did. But now we need to decide what to do about it."

Sinati grew serious once again, and raised an eyebrow at him. "It is not your place, you are simply a bodyguard to the King."

He lowered his gaze, considering the old warrior's words carefully. After a moment, he met Sinati's gaze again. "As the King's bodyguard, it is not my place. But as Caspian's friend, it is my duty."