26: Backup Plan.

*    *   *
Isidro.

“Wait for the scribes and Tamar.” Caspian ordered as the men shifted impatiently. Moments later the door opened, and both hurried in.

The King stood, greeting Tamar, and led her to a chair. “Please have a seat, what I have to say will likely come as a shock to you.”

The men stared in shock as he knelt before her. Isidro knew that Caspian was not a proud man, but he’d never expected him to kneel in front of a former slave in the presence of his men, he’d always been so careful to act like a King.

“My lady, one of our spies has discovered why Thaddias wants you back so badly.” He paused momentarily, as though choosing his words carefully. “He didn’t want us to discover the truth, that you are the daughter of King Alton.”

Isidro heard the men shifting around as shock made its way through the room, but no one spoke, watching Tamar carefully. Her face morphed from confusion to disbelief. She slowly started to shake her head, but Caspian raised a hand, stopping her.

“I know it doesn’t make much sense right now, but we’ll figure it out once this is all over.” He slowly rose, stepping back and facing his men. “We must protect her at all costs. Scribes, I’m sending messages to the Kings of Aserrawia and Laotrem, address them accordingly please.” He paced, thinking over his words…

When the letters were written, he signed and sealed them both. Then Caspian turned back to his men. “Isidro,” He straightened slightly at his name. “-I am giving you over to Tamar. You will protect her as you have protected me. She is your Princess.”

Isidro glanced at Jamaal, uncomfortable with the idea. But Jamaal nodded to him. “I will have Caspian’s back.” He vowed. Isidro turned his gaze back to Caspian.

“You have my word, my King.” He bowed.

“Good. The message will go with you also, deliver it to King Jacques, and do whatever you must to protect the Princess.” Caspian added, turning to the messanger he’d brought. “You will deliver the second message to Laotrem. It is up to you to ensure it arrives in the hands of King Esteban.”

He glanced to Jamaal. “I want you to select two men to escort the message. Make certain they are some of the best, but also very loyal.”

Jamaal glanced at Isidro, sensing the shift as the man who’d been his leader shifted into the backround, his loyalty belonging to Princess Tamar now. He turned his gaze back to Caspian. “Yes sir.” He bowed.

The King watched him a moment, gathering his thoughts, then returned his gaze to his men. “While they are doing that, we need to preserve Rayndra as best we can. But if the men breach the city walls, I want you to gather the men in the tunnels beneath the city. We cannot get back any lives that are lost, but we can rebuild the entire city if we must. Stress the need for secrecy in entering the tunnels.”

The commanders were all nodding in agreement. Who wouldn’t, their King actually wanted to preserve lives over buildings. Jamaal glanced around the room anyways, checking gazes. Now would be an ideal time for anyone wanting to betray the King. Our hands are so full, they could capture him or kill him in a matter of moments, gaining the approval of Thaddias.

But the gazes told him the men were loyal. Just the same, I’d better be extremely cautious. I sure wish Hiram was on his feet right now…

“Now I want the men sent out, the soldiers go straight to the walls for defense. The knights I want to search the city, make certain all the people are gone. We won’t be able to go into hiding if there are people still here.”