47: The Trick.

*    *   *
Caspian.

He’d been standing for several hours, and the sky had long since turned black. Now the only source of light was that of the torches around the courtyard. His feet were aching, tired from a day of work, not to mention the hours of standing still. The idea of sitting on the wall was increasingly tempting, but he knew that might give him away to anyone on the ground.

So he stood, waiting. If his guess was correct, he wouldn’t be bored much longer. He shifted, trying to ease the stiffening joints. Suddenly he froze, eyes catching movement.

As he watched, two dark figures climbed over the wall. He momentarily worried for the guards, but pushed the thought from his mind. It was necessary. He waited as they made their way across the courtyard, and up the wall to the window they had previously broken into. It was a shock to see them do it so successfully, and he immediatly noted several changes which needed to be made.

Minutes later, the barbarians exited the window, retracing their path back to the wall, and climbing the ladder back up. Just then, Caspian spotted a knight aiming his bow and arrow at the men. It was Isidro!

He quickly grabbed the bow he’d hidden there earlier that week, and aimed it in the knight’s direction, taking careful aim. If he missed… Well, he couldn’t miss for more reasons than one. He released his breath and the arrow simultaniously, watching as it cut through the night air.

His aim was true, and the arrow slammed into the cobblestone wall the knight hid behind, making the man jump at the last second, sending his arrow wide of the target. The shot alerted the barbarians, who doubled their speed, disappearing over the wall.

Isidro spun around, searching for the arrow’s source, at the same time shouting for the men to go after the barbarians. He knew they wouldn’t catch them. Caspian picked up the remaining arrows and turned, making his way back along the path towards the window he’d used.

Alarm was spreading quickly throughout the castle, guards running about making certain it was clear of intruders. By the time he made it to the room which had been broken into, The Three were there. The frustration was thick as he stepped in.

Caspian turned to the other men. “Everyone out!” He ordered, waiting as they hurriedly left. He turned back to The Three. They were staring at the bow in his hand.

“You shot that arrow!” Isidro exploded, furious.

“Yeah, yeah, now step aside.” He replied, wasting no time in gently pushing him away from the mirror. He pulled it off the wall, ignoring the knight’s shock. He flipped it over. Sure enough, it was gone. He let out a breath of relief. “Good.”

“Good? What’s good?” Isidro demanded, still angry. Caspian turned to The Three, seeing them all regarding him with uncertainty.

He shook his head at their distrust. “I’ll explain in the library. Come.” Without another word, he turned and walked out of the room. It was hard to see the lack of trust they had for him, even though a tiny part of him understood it.

They arrived at the library, where hot tea was waiting. He made his way to the table and sat, pouring a cup for himself. He watched as they warily followed his example, sitting. They waited in silence as he stirred some honey into his drink.

“You were expecting this meeting.” Jamaal commented. Caspian just nodded, too tired to explain that part.

“Isidro,” He began, turning to his friend. “-I’m sorry I had to shoot that arrow so near to you, but it was necessary to prevent you from stopping the barbarians.” He took a carefull sip of the steaming tea, wincing as it burned his sore throat. “I knew you wouldn’t miss otherwise.”

The indirect compliment seemed to calm the man slightly, for which he was glad. “And I’m sorry I couldn’t tell any of you what I was up to, but it would’ve ruined everything if I had.”

He pointed at the unrolled map which sat on the table in front of them. “I outlined that blank patch of land.” He pulled a page of paper from his pocket, passing it over. “On the night of the first break in, I found a map behind the mirror, and made a copy. I spent the last few days questioning some of the experts around here, and some hunters. I discovered that that copy fits perfectly in the blank area of this map.”

“A hideout?” Jamaal asked.

“Precisly. Thaddias kept that area out of the maps on purpose, to keep people from discovering it. Problem is, he didn’t take the time to memorize the secret map, which he needed to get around various streams and cliffs.” He sipped the tea again, feeling his voice leaving him.

“So when he found himself needing it, he sent some of his goons to get the map.” Hiram added.

Caspian nodded. “So I decided to lay my own trap. I discovered some good hiding places on the roof, and have been up there the past two nights waiting for them. I couldn’t tell you of the plan because I feared any change in behavior would make them suspicious.” He focused in on Hiram. “Now we know where they’ll be going. Now we can find them and rescue Herschel.”

There were a few moments of silence, while The Three took this all in. He just focused on his tea, wishing the honey would work faster to heal his raw throat. He knew he was going to be sick soon if things didn’t calm down, but hung on to the hope it would be over in a week.

“So now we wait?” Isidro asked quietly, speaking at last. He nodded. Isidro stood to leave, giving his shoulder a single pat of forgiveness as he walked out. 

*    *   *
Herschel.

BANG! Herschel jolted awake as the trapdoor into the cellar opened, squinting as two men stomped down the stairs. His eyes were swolled and painful, reminders of what he’d endured.

The men hurriedly untied him and hoisted him up by the arms. He couldn’t get his feet beneath him, for they had long since lost all feeling. But that didn’t slow them, and they dragged him up the stairs roughly.

As they reached the surface, he realized there was no structure above, and they were in the middle of nowhere. There had been a building, but all that remained were the blackened timbers. Coal in place of the boards that had once made up the small shack. He could only assume it had burned down without their notice, or perhaps they thought that it being burned down made it an even better hiding place.

Just then a rider approached. When he peered up at the giant man, his heart turned to ice. It was Damon, again. He quickly returned to letting his head hang with the rest of his limp body, held up only by the two barbarians on either side of him.

“We’ve got the map. Load up.” Damon’s words were short, making it clear he had no time to wait. Map?

The men didn’t hesitate, tossing him onto the back of one of their horses. Herschel couldn’t hold back a gasp as pain shot through his stiff body, every muscle felt as though it were about to rip. It was unbearable, but bear it he must, or he would surely die before they even arrived.

Blood rushed to his head, and the scab over his split lip burst, shooting the crimson liquid to the snow below. He dully wondered about the chances of it leaving a trail for The Three to follow. But they likely wouldn’t be looking anyways…

He bit back a moan as the bumpy ride began. It was already a struggle to breathe, and he began to wonder if he would suffocate before they got there. Where is ‘there’? He dismissed the thought, knowing it was pointless. His empty stomach growled. He let his thoughts drift. I wonder where my mother is… If she’s alive...