Chapter 55: Passing On The Crown.

*     *    *
Isidro.

The great halls of the castle were filled with imported flowers of many colors, white scattered all over, keeping the tones light and beautiful rather than overwhelming. Long, white curtains hung from the windows, tied back by golden sashes. Rays of golden light flooded the room, the setting sun adding it’s own beauty to the room.

Isidro admired the scene, struck by how such a dark and violent looking building had been transformed into something beautiful. Like Princess Tamar’s life.

He blinked in surprise at the thought. He was not supposed to be poetic, that was Jamaal’s job. He shook his head at himself and ignored the rest of the decor, marching over to a closed door and knocking.

After a moment, it opened, and a maid stepped back to let him in. As he entered, he scanned the room. A swarm of maids and staff hurried about, but his eyes landed on the seat near the back of the room. Surrounded by three designers and many mirrors, sat Tamar. 

Her honey-brown hair was tied up, with several strands hanging loose to frame her face with their gentle curls. Her dress was white and light blue, pure and bright like the sky. Shaped perfectly for her torso, with the design of flowers and vines spiralling- He stopped thinking about it and studied her face. 

He saw some level of fear there, as well as a hint of sadness, but both were overcome by the level of determination sparking in her eyes. She felt unsure, but was determined to do it anyways. 

He made his way over to where she sat and knelt down on one knee, looking up into her eyes. “Are you ready, my lady?”

She nodded. “I can do this, because I have to.” Her words tugged a hint of smile from him, reminding him of that day years ago…

“That’s exactly what Caspian said.” He commented quietly as he stood. “And he was right.” He motioned to one of the maids. “Alert me when she is ready.” He instructed, then turned and bowed to the Princess before leaving the room.

He spotted Jamaal, who raised an eyebrow and tilted his head towards the door across the hall, where Caspian was getting ready. Hiram frowned and nodded, heading to that door next. 

As he entered, he was unsurprised to find that there were no staff bustling about, instead, Caspian paced, adjusting the black leather vest he wore. He glanced up as Isidro entered, then returned his gaze to the straps he was adjusting. “The Royal guard has been prepared?”

Isidro glanced at Sinati, who raised an eyebrow knowingly. “Yes sir. Everything is ready.” He replied. He watched his friend pause,thinking. Caspian didn’t look very reasured, but he nodded. 

He glanced at Sinati again. They could both tell the King was very uneasy about leaving Tamar to figure things out on her own, and he was beginning to wonder if they were going to delay their return. 

“You know she can always write if she needs anything.” Isidro reminded him.

Caspian sighed. “I know. But that would create problems diplomatically, and she can hardly wait for me to write back before making each decision.”

He fell silent. He had to agree that that wouldn’t work very well. There was nothing he could do to reasure his friend this time. Suddenly Sinati cleared his throat, gaining their attention. 

“I will stay here, and offer my counsel to the young Princess.” Caspian began to shake his head, but the older warrior raised his hand, stopping him. “I want to see both my apprentace and King Alton’s daughter succeed, but that won’t happen if Tamar does not have wise counsel, and if you are always worrying for both her kingdom and your own.” Sinati paused, a smile slowly spreading across his lips. “Besides, she’ll make more use of my counsel than you will.”