37: Break Through.

*    *   *
Caspian.

“King Caspian, I cannot express how grateful I am to see you alive and well!”

“Thank you, King Jacques. I cannot express how glad I am to be alive. I also want to extend to you and King Esteban, Rayndra’s thanks for coming to our aid.” He returned as the three kings bowed in greeting.

“As your letter said, it was as much our problem as it was yours. And the things that Thaddias has done… He will surely pay for his crimes.” King Esteban shook his head.

Caspian frowned. “Speaking of which, have we located the culprit?”

“Alast, none of our men have seen him. There is a rumor that he escaped.” King Jacques was silent a moment.

“But I’m sure we’ll find him in the rubble somewheres. I only hope he isn’t dead yet, I have a lovely torture chamber that could use another victim.” King Esteban added, face showing his disgust.

Caspian couldn’t help but wince, raising a hand. “Please don’t mention torture chambers for a while, I’d quite like to forget my expirience.”

“Appologies, that was rather shortsighted of me.”

“It is alright, the feeling is mutual.”

“Forgive me, but did he really go so far as to torture you?” King Jacques asked.

“It could have been worse, but that is a tale I would rather save for the trial before recounting.” He could still feel bile rising in his throat.

“Of course.” King Jacques nodded, returning his gaze to the rubble before them.

In the end, the generals had surrendered, claiming that Thaddias had been killed when part of the wall collapsed. Did he believe it? Maybe. Only time would tell. But regardless whether the story was true or not, they had captured Adrelawin.

That was when he remembered something. He signaled to Hiram, who was overseeing the men. Hiram nodded to him and quickly finished what he was saying to one of the generals before approaching the Kings.

“Yes sir?”

“Has the castle been cleared of hostiles?” He inquired.

“Yes sir.”

“Good, I would like to see to those in the dungeon.” He turned to the Kings, bowing. “Please excuse me.” The men bowed in return.

“Of course, sir.” Hiram bowed.

Caspian led the way into the castle, followed by Hiram. Stepping around dead bodies, they entered the great foyer, which had looked elegant hours ago, but was now filled with dust and debre. All around lay evidence of the great battle which had occured, leaving a sensation of death and grief.

“Which way to the dungeon?” He asked, turning to his friend.

“This way, sir.” Hiram answered, moving to take the lead.

Caspian found himself in awe of the great halls, but not because they were grand, but because they were a testamony to Thaddias’s insanity. They were covered in paintings of battles, swords and weapons like any other castle hall, but the paintings were focused on the bodies of victims, and the weapons were focused on torture devices rather than the bravory of the men who fought.

Finally they reached the stairwell which led to the castle basement. As they made their way down the winding steps, chills ran up and down his spine. This was the last place he wanted to return to, but it was his duty to do so, to ensure justice was done.