The Silence Is Deafening

SONG OF THE CHAPTER: IDENTITY DISORDER

BY: OF MICE & MEN

"...The silence is deafening.
My words cut deep.
The darkness is blinding,
Consuming me.
All I am is what I say
So turn your back and walk away..."

Vic's P.O.V

"Tell me again...why did you decide to wake me up at this ungodly hour?" I asked Kellin as he lead me down the hallway.

"It's not an ungodly hour, it's noon and you missed lunch. They were actually gonna come get you sooner but I just told them you were feeling sick, so you're welcome." He says very matter-of-factly.

I nodded and looked down as we walked. We were on our way to group therapy. There are many things in this shit-hole that pick away at my last nerve, but group therapy has got to be at the top of the fucking list.

I just groaned as we approached the double doors that lead into the cafeteria. I opened one of them, absentmindedly letting Kellin walk in first. 

"Ladies first." I said, after realizing I had opened the door for him.

"Shut up." He whispered, hitting my shoulder.

"Ow, you little shit." I mumbled, rubbing my shoulder. He simply laughed and made his way to the circle of chairs. I did the same, taking my usual spot next to Alex.

"Well, look who's up! How was your nap sleeping beauty?" Alex asked with a sarcastic voice.

I rolled my eyes and nudged him as he let out a laugh. I looked around the circle. I noticed that Joanne wasn't here yet. Wow, leaving the crazies unattended? When we could maul each other's faces off? How unprofessional of her. I scoffed at the thought of how crazy they actually believed us to be. Sure, some of us were, but it still hurts to realize they're right. They watch us through tiny glass windows, behind heavy steal doors, struggling beneath itchy restraints; laughing at us like we're all failing escape artists in a pathetic circus show.

"Here we go..." I heard Alex mumble, crossing his arms and averting his gaze to the floor.

I furrowed my eyebrows, not paying attention to the rest of the group, "What?" I whispered.

He simply nodded his head, motioning for me to look across the circle of chairs.

As I looked over, I became more aware of everyone else noise that I was trying to shut out. I squinted and my mouth was left slightly ajar in disbelief.

"Well, how about you find another fucking chair." I heard a voice snap.

I was surprised to see the the owner of the mouth whose poisonous words fell from. But I was even more surprised to see who the words were being thrown at.

What the fuck?

"I don't know what I did wro-" Kellin stuttered.

"You were fucking born, that's what you did wrong." Miranda snapped at him.

My eyes got wider at this; umm, did I miss something?

"Did you not hear me?" Everyone's eyes were on the two. Some were even snickering. Kellin was standing by his usual chair, trying to sit, but Miranda wouldn't let him. His head was down, he looked humiliated and looked as if he would break down any second.

"Sit. Somewhere. Else." She said loudly, but slower as if she were talking to a five year old.

Kellin jerked his head in a different direction as he walked to my side of the circle. He sat in the only other available seat, which was on the other side of Tate. I was sitting to the right of him so he was the only thing separating Kellin and I. Kellin just sat with his head down, not looking up as other people whispered about what just happened. I glanced back to Miranda; she didn't seem to care that she upset Kellin; she was sitting in silence, a hard, blank look covering her face as she stared at nothing. It's like she couldn't hear or see anything else in the room, even though they were whispering about her. It's like, she just flat-out didn't care.