0.96 || Always and forever

Chris used to always think that getting married was superficial. The whole expressing your love for each other in front of your family sounds great and all, but Chris never saw it as anything too special. Probably because he never thought he'd be marrying the love of his life.

He was never the outgoing type, sure around his friends and at events he genuinely enjoyed, but he wasn't going to make the first move. No he couldn't do that, putting Scarlett under even more stress by confessing how much he loved her? No, not a chance. He did love her, for quite some time but considering the circumstances of her last breakup Chris knew he could wait, but he also knew he couldn't let her go. Not again. So he gave her the time she needed, because he would wait an eternity if it meant she was happy.

The night he proposed, he recalled, he contemplated dropping the whole subject. Although Scarlett was his girlfriend, he wasn't sure if she wanted to get married after her last ordeal. But despite that, Chris was determined. He remembered taking a knee and seeing the greatest smile in the entire world. Chris wanted, no needed, her to know that relationships could blossom into something greater. That he would always love her, that he would never hurt her, not intentionally at least.

Then came their wedding day, although he tried to reason with himself that this was just a celebration for their love, and also the day they brought the government into the whole ordeal. But it was nothing like that. Although yes technically it was like that, it didn't feel that ways. It meant the absolute world to him and he panicked. He was tempted to run but he knew he would never hear the end of it, it might have made an interesting story to tell his grandkids but other than that, no. Plus if he wanted to run he couldn't, her brothers stationed themselves outside of his door to make sure he couldn't run, he wasn't planning on it.

Chris remembered standing at the end of the aisle, nervous as all heck as he waited for the ceremony to start.

To fast forward to the important stuff, Chris remembered feeling weightless. He could not believe how absolutely stunning Scarlett looked and he might have drooled. He couldn't be quite sure because he also remembered crying. He'd always seen weddings, he'd always been the one watching them, but living them was so much better. Much better, he concluded. Seeing her standing in front of him made him realize how wrong he was about weddings.

So maybe they did learn together, Scarlett learned to trust someone with her heart and Chris, well Chris learned how much weddings mattered. How in the moment when you are confessing how much you love each other, even despite the room being full of people, it was just the two of you. Always and forever, and that, that sounded pretty great to Chris.

He realized as he watched his wife, it was still going to take some time to get use to that, play with their kids that he would never find anyone as great as her. That no one would be able to replace her because she was one of a kind.

Scarlett's vibrant green eyes locked onto his and he saw the smile that appeared on her face.  She mouthed 'what?' finally noticing the blissful expression he had been wearing. Chris shook his head lightly however his smile never wavered.

Scarlett placed the twins in their activity gyms in order to focus her attention on her husband.

"You're one of a kind Scarls," Chris commented as he sat down to join her.

"I'm aware," she replied as he wrapped his arm around her.

The two of them were silent as they watched the twins entertain themselves on the same toy for an extended period of time. It was very common for them to sit back and just enjoy the comfort of home.

Chris shifted his attention to Scarlett once again and before he even got to say anything, she beat him to it.

"I like you Chris, like, like like you," Scarlett stated as she turned her attention to him. Chris let out what he could only describe as an awed gasp.

"I really like you too," he replied.

Chris gently cupped her face in his hand as she gave him the most dazzling smile.

"Aww Chrissy are you going to kiss me?" She asked jokingly.

"I don't know, you're making it very hard not to kiss you," he replied with a shrug. She laughed and it made his heart flutter for a moment and they kissed. It was almost routinely, the small reassuring kisses they shared. They were gentle reminders that they were still there.

Scarlett smiled in between their kiss and he couldn't help but smile as well because in that moment it was just the two of them.

—————