Trapped(Part Two)

I race to the back offices.

I start texting him.

Me: Calm down, calm down. Can't you just type something into your magic watch and come back?

J: I would, if I could! I need to know what book I'm in.

When I go back to the store, after all of our adventures, I type in what book we're in and the bookstore address.

Me: okay, okay. Describe your surroundings.

J: Colorless. Dull. Dystopian-ish. I don't know. Not a dystopia, but maybe a utopia?

Me: The Giver.

J: What?

Me: The book you're in. It's The Giver, by Lois Lowry.

J: Cool. When I get back wanna go back inside the book? explore?

Me: Sure. why not?

A second later, he's back.

"Thank you, you are literally a life saver," he says, then hugs me.

I push him away.

"What?!" he asks.

I smile.

"You said we could go into The Giver. We should've been there by now," I explain. He sighs, looks down at his "watch", types something in, and says "I really hate you." and smirks.

The world really is colorless.

We're at the part where Jonas and his friend Asher are tossing the apple around.

I notice it. I notice the glitch in the apple.

It had turned red for a split second, sending a shrill of excitement up my spine.

"Wanna go cause some trouble?" James whispers in my ear.

I shrug my shoulders.

"Yeah, why not?" I look over at him and smile.

We're over by the Communities, We blend in pretty well.

We enter a government building, and go and access the history records; Me and James want to know how The Communities- and everything in this book came to be. I mean- there's an explanation for everything, right?

It's an empty room.

We search alphabetically.

"Find anything yet?" I ask James.

"No. Not yet. I'm only on letter E. What letter are you on?"

"F." I answer.

We search awhile more.

"I think I found something- In the 'H' section.

Something about The Hunger Games," James says.

"Well, read it!" I say.

"Okay! Hold on, it's a lot." James says.

"Hundreds of years ago, we had an overpopulation, thus brought The Hunger Games.

The Hunger Games is when 2 tributes from each of the twelve "Districts" that are between the age of 12-18 are selected in a local "reaping". They then go off to the Capitol to prepare for an arena in which they fight to death until one lone victor remains. However, 89 years ago, Seneca Crane, the head gamemaker, let Peeta Mellark and Katniss Everdeen both live. This was the first time in history which there were 2 victors. Seneca Crane had been hanged for his mistake.

The two victors had started an uprising, it was the second uprising since District 13. The Games had become no more, and Panem was a disaster. The Capitol had to do something. Regarding their history, they had made a new, improved way of living.

Thus brought Communities." James read.

We're both in shock.

We look at each other.

The Hunger Games is the cause of Communities.

The cause of The Giver.

"Well, now you know our history. Now, I need to know who you are. " I hear a woman's voice, I turn around.

It's the Chief Elder.

"Unless you were sent by the government, the Caretakers will have to Release you."

Releasing is basically killing someone.

Me and James walk to the other side of the room, we are closer to her.

We both open our mouths for a brief moment, then we both take off running.

To be continued...