Grow Up

James P.O.V

I watched her grow up and age, Lynn.

The Girl Who Jumped.

When Claire got too old to run the shop, she handed it down to Lynn. I promised myself I was going to actually ask Lynn out one day, the right way.

It would've never worked out; I don't age.

I'm not like the Doctor, I don't regenerate.

I just simply don't age.

Another thing I have in common with the Doctor and Donna, if Lynn remembered about me for only a few moments, she would die.

Today I'm at a hospital, sitting in the visitors lounge.

Lynn is dying. Not of remembering me, but of cancer.

She fought a long battle, and she's going to lose it very soon. I wait in the lounge for a few moments, then I go up to room 204. As I enter, I see a little, crippling old woman with blue hair.

I lightly smile and sigh to myself. Lynn is looking out the window, watching the snow fall.

"Hello, Lynn." I say. Her head turns and she squints at me.

"A boy who's got blue hair? Who are you?" she asks.

"How many days do you have left? Of life?" I say as I walk over to the orange leather chair, ruffling my blue hair. I did it for her. I see a picture of her children.  One if them looks just like her.

"One. As in today. Doctor says I've got twenty minutes." She answers.

"Lynn, would you rather have another twenty minutes of life that are boring, and just watching the snow fall? Or would you like about one minute of life left gaining some amazing memories you've forgotten?"

She looks at me.

"If it were possible- young man- I would do the second one; but I never forget anything." She says assuredly.

"I'm not young, and you may not forget anything, but sometimes things need to be remembered." I say.

I put my hands to her wrists, purple magic come out of mine and flowing into hers, "Hello, Lynn." I say.

She gasps.

"Hello, James." She smiles. I'm done with transferring the memories back, and I let go of her wrist.

She's got about one to two minutes left. She reaches into her side table and gives me a key. "It's to Brelling's. I'm passing the store to you, James.

James, James the Book Jumper. I've missed you, and please, have a wonderful life." She says, her eyes dancing.

I say one more sentence before she finally passes.

"Alright then, let's Jump."

~~~

Lynn passed at 11:11am, I tried to make a quick wish that she didn't die, but as we all know, not all wishes come true.

I stayed with her family, and they didn't believe me when I try to tell them who I was. They thought I was joking. I just marveled at them, realizing Lynn and I had some pretty fictional times. And they were good. Very good.

Too good to believe they were true.

I headed out of the hospital and went straight to Brelling's Brilliant Bookstore. I unlock the door and the walk down memory lane starts happening for me.

I sigh, I smile. My people, the other Jumpers in Mirrors, lost the battle to reality. We're all trapped in reality now, passing off as normal human beings.  Therefore my home is Brelling's.

Brelling's is my home.

I'm home.