I

Staring out the window, you couldn't help but feel a bit sad seeing the sun shine so brightly while you were stuck inside. The hospital room's white walls were so dull and boring, it was like they were sucking the energy and life right out of you. If only you could walk outside, feel the sun warming you as you walked through the fresh, healthy grass. Alas, you were trapped in this prison of a room, wasting your days staring out into the real world through the window.

"Oh, you look sad. It looks like you could use some company," an unfamiliar voice interrupted your thoughts.

You looked in the direction of the voice's source to see a stranger standing in your room's entrance. She, too, had on a hospital gown, indicating she was a patient as well. She was quite the skinny little thing, with long, brunette hair and dark eyes. Her skin was quite pale, but, despite her worrisome appearance, her eyes held a liveliness you hadn't ever seen in any of the hospital workers, or the patients for that matter.

"Ah, it is a nice day, isn't it? I would take you outside if I could but, unfortunately, I'm not allowed out either. Perhaps one day I can." You hadn't noticed the mysterious girl coming over to you until now. She stood at your right side, looking out the window with longing eyes.

"I haven't been outside it in awhile, and when I do go out it's never for very long," you admitted quietly.

"Yeah, the nurses open the windows but it just isn't the same. I'm sure you're just dying to get out there and roll around in the grass," the girl said with a sympathetic smile. Her eyes widened suddenly and she took a step back from you. "How rude of me! I'm Hyerin, it's nice to meet you."

You accepted Hyerin's outstretched hand and shook it. "I'm (Y/n)."

"Well then, (Y/n), I promise to you that one day I will take you outside with me and we can do anything you'd like," Hyerin said with a grin.

"That's very kind of you," you said with a warm smile. "Why would you do that for me? We don't even know each other."

"Well, there's plenty of time to become closer," the brunette said with a wink.

"This is where you've been," another voice cut in followed with an exasperated sigh. You looked at the room's entrance to see a nurse entering while shaking her head, gaze locked on Hyerin.

"I was just getting some exercise," the girl said, flexing her arms to make a point. "And while I was at it, I made a new friend."

"I'm so sorry if she was being a bother," the nurse apologized to you. You quickly shook your head, but the nurse had already focused on Hyerin again. "Miss Kim, I'll need you to come with me now. It's time to go back to your room."

"I don't want to," the girl whined, lowering down to the floor and clutching onto one of your chair's legs.

"I'll tell you what, you can visit Miss (L/n)'s room tomorrow and more days to come. But for today, I need you to come back to your room," the nurse offered, bending down to get on Hyerin's level.

"You really mean it?" Hyerin asked in an excited voice, eyes sparkling. The nurse nodded.

"Yes. So let's go back now, shall we?"

Hyerin stood up and dusted herself off, looking at you with apologetic eyes. "I have to go now, but I promise I'll be back."

"Of course. It was nice meeting you, Hyerin," you said with a small wave.

"You too (Y/n)!" The nurse was holding Hyerin's arms lightly, guiding her out of your room before the young girl changed her mind about leaving.

Once the two left, you felt a strange feeling of loneliness settle inside you. You glanced out the window again, a pout making its way onto your face unconsciously.

"I want to go outside."