E

It was the fourth day since you had seen Hyerin and a day after escaping to her room. Well, the hallway at least. This morning you didn't ask the nurse that brought you breakfast about Hyerin. You were sure she had gone off to tell her colleagues that you seemed to have given up, all of them probably having a small moment of celebration. You just didn't see the need to ask when it was clear Hyerin was in a bad state. It's not like anything they told you would be of any comfort.

You had been planning on having an uneventful day, probably spent sleeping or looking out the window. There wasn't much you could do when your body was acting up, nothing that the nurses approved of at least. However, it seemed that you wouldn't see your plans through. You knew this the moment Taehyung entered your room.

The look on his face described it all—he was in pain. His eyes were bloodshot, probably from all the crying he's been doing. Messy hair made him look like even more of a wreck, and the hoodie he had on just made you want to hold him tight, whispering words of comfort into his ears. His lip began trembling and you slowly opened your arms for him.

"Tae, are—"

You were cut off by the brunette stumbling over to your bed and falling into you, arms wrapping around your waist and face shoving into your stomach as he kneeled on the ground next to the bed. You heard him whimpering before feeling something wetting your hospital gown.

"(Y/n), I-I need yo-ou. I nee-need help," he cried.

"Shhh, it's alright. Tell me what you need," you whispered, combing a hand through his unruly hair. You weren't really sure what he needed help with but you knew you'd do anything for this boy in a heartbeat.

"I-I-I...Hyerin...hurts..." A heartbreaking sob left his lips before he could finish the incoherent sentence. You leaned down to kiss his head as he squeezed you tighter, the wet spot on your gown starting to grow.

"Breathe, Taehyung. There's no need to rush," you said calmly.

Taehyung's breaths were coming out in little hiccups but you could tell he was trying hard to slow them down. Between the hiccups came coughs and sniffs, neither of the two making it any easier for the brunette to breathe. He began trembling against you and your heart broke for him.

"Taehyung, look at me." Tear-filled chocolate eyes stared up into your own (e/c) ones. "You're going to be okay. Take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth, okay?"

You began breathing slowly with Taehyung to help him through the steps. It only took about a minute for his breathing to become evener. Tears were still streaming down his face, sniffles and coughs still interrupted his mostly calm breaths, but he wasn't as hysterical as before.

"Now, do you think you can tell me how I can help you?" you asked softly, hands cupping his drenched cheeks.

"Hyerin died," Taehyung choked out.

You felt your blood run cold and your heart drop. "What did you just say?"

"She started having r-really bad angina, and it wa-wasn't getting any better. And then sh-she started going into cardiac arrest." Taehyung paused to take a slow, shaky breath in. "She died from a heart attack."

You felt like you were underwater—cold, icy water. You were frozen and everything sounded far away, body so numb you couldn't move a finger. Taehyung was staring up at you, waiting for you to say something—anything—to comfort him, but your mouth wouldn't work. Your tongue felt like it weighed a hundred pounds and your throat was as dry as a desert.

"I don't und-understand why this happened to her. Why did she ha-have to die now?" Taehyung asked, voice cracking.

You finally snapped out of your trance and brought Taehyung into your stomach, hugging him tightly against you. Taehyung broke out crying again, sobs wracking his body and hands grasping at your gown desperately. There were tears suddenly falling onto Taehyung's head and it was then that you realized you, too, were crying.

Nothing else was said between you two. The rest of the day was spent holding onto each other as you both cried until your bodies exhausted themselves.