N

The sun was out and shining today but you weren't feeling joyful at all. The orchids were taken from your room when you were sleeping it seemed. They had died and only the stems had remained, but orchids are known for growing back. You had wanted to keep them but a nurse must've unknowingly decided to trash them, thinking they were dead for good. Because of this you were in a bit of a bad mood.

"I can get you some new flowers if you'd like?" a nurse offered.

"No," you said with a glower. "There's no point-those flowers were irreplaceable."

"I'm sure whoever it was that threw them away simply didn't know the flowers could grow back. She didn't mean any harm," the nurse reasoned.

"Whatever," you huffed, exasperated. The nurse left you after that, taking the hint that you clearly didn't want to talk about the orchids anymore and would much rather be left alone.

Not even ten minutes later you heard thundering footsteps racing down the hall, seemingly approaching your room. It was when they halted in front of your room did you realize someone most definitely was upset with you. Someone by the name of Taehyung.

"(Y/n), we need to talk," said boy stated as he stalked into your room, making a beeline for the chair by the window. He grabbed the piece of furniture and dragged it carelessly closer to your bed, dropping into the seat when it was close enough.

"Taehy-"

"You want to explain to me why I heard about your condition from a fucking nurse and not from you? Huh?" he interrupted, fire blazing in his eyes.

You shut your mouth and swallowed nervously. You never would've expected Taehyung to get this mad. You were honestly fearing for your life at this point. "I-I'm sorry Taehyung. I don't know why I didn't have the courage to tell you. I was afraid it would hurt you."

"Yeah? Well hearing it from someone other than you hurts a hell of a lot more," the brunette snapped. "Was I ever gonna find out you had leukemia? Talk to me here, (Y/n)."

You inhaled shakily. "O-Okay. So what do you want to know?"

"Tell me everything you're comfortable with. I want to know about your condition, when it started, if there were signs I was missing, whatever," Taehyung replied, tone a bit softer but an irritated undertone still present.

"I'm sure you've heard about leukemia already. It's when abnormal blood cells are produced which don't function like normal white blood cells. They grow and divide which eventually leads to crowding out the normal cells. Because of this, it makes it hard for my body to fight infections, control bleeding and transport oxygen. The case of leukemia I have is acute myelogenous leukemia. I was diagnosed a year ago and the progression of the cancer has been rapid. I had been told six months ago that my expected survival rate was half a year. Basically my last breath could come any day now."

"Where are your parents in all of this? I've never seen them come to visit you. Do they even know you could die soon?" Taehyung asked.

"My mother died a few years ago and my father has been broken ever since. He wasn't helping me at home when I was diagnosed so I was transferred to the hospital where I would get the care I need. I can't remember the last time my dad came to see me, so I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he forgot about my existence. Losing my mom was too much for him, it's all he ever thinks about now," you answered.

"Why didn't you tell me or Hyerin about this?"

"Because I didn't want to be pitied. Ever since people around me found out about my leukemia they completely changed their attitudes around me. They started babying me and acting as if water could break me into a million pieces. I wanted to live my last few months as a normal person, like the way I used to live before I was diagnosed."

"Were there signs that I was overlooking?" Taehyung questioned.

"Nothing that could lead you to the conclusion of leukemia. Feeling fatigued, loss of appetite, fevers, joint pain and nosebleeds were all symptoms that you and Hyerin both saw. I don't think you two would've been able to link it with cancer though," you replied.

Taehyung was staring down at the ground blankly. The room was enveloped in tense silence as you waited for him to speak. You couldn't tell if he was angry, devastated, betrayed, or confused. Probably a mixture of everything.

"I just don't understand why you wouldn't tell me," Taehyung whispered. "I thought we were close enough to...share things like this."

"Tae, I'm so sorry," you said softly, heart aching for the boy. You felt like the worst person on earth right now. How could you do this to him?

"And the fact that I found out now. When you have such limited time...there was so much I wanted to do with you," Taehyung continued, looking up with crestfallen eyes.

"Tae." Your voice got caught in your throat, hindering you from saying anything else.

"I...I think I need time to let this settle in," Taehyung began. "There's been too much going on in my life I just..."

"It's alright, take all the time you need," you reassured. Taehyung chuckled bitterly.

"You don't exactly have any time left though, do you?"