L

You felt yourself shake as the sound of a bang startled you awake. Immediately thinking of the worst, you sat up at the speed of light and grabbed the flower pot on your bedside table, holding it up in a threatening manner. However, the person you saw by your door certainly wasn't who you were expecting to be faced with.

"Taehyung?" you hissed. "What in God's name are you doing?"

The brunette gave a lopsided grin as he scratched his neck sheepishly. "I thought Hyerin was here and ran in to surprise her. But it turns out she's not and instead I found you sleeping. So I tried to slip out but I ended up walking into the door." 

"How did that happen?" you asked with a chuckle.

"Let's just say trying to walk backwards and then suddenly turning around isn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Doors can sneak up on you pretty easily when you do that."

You grinned and motioned for Taehyung to come to you. The boy wasted no time and practically skipped over before dropping himself on the edge of your bed.

"Hyerin should be coming soon, she stopped by earlier actually while running from a nurse. Honestly, at this point I think she just does it because she likes being chased," you said.

"That sounds about right," Taehyung nodded.

"You've been coming around more and more lately and I feel like your mother has been coming around less. Is there a particular reason?" you questioned.

"She still does come by, but she doesn't stay for as long and it's usually just to make sure Hyerin isn't missing or something. She's been getting pretty busy with work so she doesn't have as much time to visit. I, on the other hand, realized I haven't been seeing Hyerin as much as she'd like, so I've promised her that I'd visit more often," Taehyung explained.

"I see. Why doesn't your father doesn't come?" you asked.

"He really doesn't like hospitals. His parents passed away in one and now his daughter is constantly being admitted. For some reason, he thinks that if he comes he's gonna bring bad luck with him." Taehyung sighed deeply and looked down at his hands, folded in his lap. "He thinks if he shows up...Hyerin will die."

Your brows shot up in shock. "That's..."

"Dark? Crazy? Stupid? If I'm being honest, that's how I see it. But nobody can convince him to believe otherwise, so he only gets to spend time with Hyerin when she comes home from the hospital. I understand he has these superstitions, but I'm worried about Hyerin. Even though she hadn't told me, I know something is bothering her. I can see it in her eyes-sometimes she just gets this look and I know she's thinking about it. Not being able to see her dad certainly isn't going to help with her problems. In fact, I'm worried it'll make things worse."

"If you'd like, I can try to talk to her. Maybe she'll eventually open up to me about what's on her mind and we can both work together to solve those issues," you offered. "I know this might sound weird—I haven't even known her for that long—but I do care for her and would like to help her in any way I can."

Taehyung moved closer to you and grabbed onto one of your hands with both of his. "Would you really?"

You nodded and suddenly Taehyung was throwing himself onto you, wrapping his arms around your waist tightly and pulling you into his chest. Feeling flustered and not knowing what to do, you awkwardly patted his back and simply hoped he wouldn't notice your discomfort.

"That would be such a big help, thank you, (Y/n), from the bottom of my heart," Taehyung said when he finally pulled away from you.

You smiled gently. "You really care about her, don't you?"

"Hyerin is my precious little sister and I want to do everything I can to keep her happy," Taehyung replied, a determined look in his eyes.