18.Back to work

*1 and a half months later*

Ell's POV

"Ell get up your shift starts in a hour and you need to go pick up your schedule for the rest of the week" Angie screamed through my door.

"Alright alright i'm coming" i shouted back equally as loud. After slipping on my shoes i made my way over to the old cracking door while checking i have all my equipment, after realising i had everything i opened my door and stepped out into the muggy, polluted air of Birmingham. 

The walk only took about 10 minutes until me and Angie showed up at the convent greeted by the sisters and the other midwifes. 

"Oh wow Ell you looks so much fuller now, you look like a woman" sister Mary said as she made her way towards me. "And you're skin wow it's practically glowing" she laughed looking at me.

"Started my diet a while ago might be why" i laughed with her "Anyways i'm here to pick up my schedule"

"Right Ell, you're going to Mrs.Heath first, then Miss Rosaline, after Rosaline you should hopefully be delivering Mrs. Gwen's baby she is due today after that you have a spare 2 hours which means you can come here and get a shower and get changed then head out to Mrs. Shelby's home to do the checks on her" 

"Thank you sister Mary for putting me with Mrs. Shelby"

"You're the only one she requests, right now go on don't want you being late"

Softly i knocked on Mrs. Heaths door hoping she'd be in. I was just about to walk away and go to my next call until a small girl around 7 or 8 opened the door.

"Hello is your mummy home"

"My mummy is in the kitchen do you want me to get her"

"Yes please"

"Mummy there's a funny looking woman at the door"

"What" there was loud shout from i think was the kitchen

"Oh you must be the midwife welcome, would you like to come in"

"Thank you" i mumbled as i slipped into the small house "Lovely house Mrs. Heath" 

"Thank you me and my husband decorated it before he left for war and didn't change it since"

"Well it looks lovely"

"What's your name" the young girl asked

"Her name is Nurse May" her mother snapped at her as she strutted past into the kitchen

"You can call me Ell" i whispered at the young girl "What's your name?"

"I'm Susie" 

"Wonderful name for a wonderful little girl" she giggled at me "Right now i need to go see your mummy"

(We'll just skip until it's Esme's turn and don't worry Mrs. Rosaline didn't give birth well not yet anyways) 

I swung open the door like i had done many times before and quietly shut it behind me i made my way into Esme's and John's kitchen only to be greeted by the Shelby men including a few other (Isaiah and his father).

"Ell what are you doing here?" John asked with a confused look on his face.

"I'm here to do her check up" 

"Oh yeah shit sorry i forgot to tell her, she's down at Polly's with the kids"

"Right thanks Mr. Shelby"

"Ell what have i told you call me John"

"Right i'll see you later" 

A mixture a byes and goodbyes were grumbled as i left to room. A short walk later i was outside Polly's house nervously i knocked on the door when Esme opened the door.

"Oh Ell what are you doing here"

"Well i was supposed to be doing check ups on you but when i went to your home you weren't there so John told me to come here" 

"Oh i'm so sorry i completely forgot" 

"It's fine, do you want me to come back at a later time?"

"Oh no no come in me and Poll were just talking about the baby"

"Hello Ell, i was meaning to nip round earlier but i didn't get time i wanted to talk to you about you and Finn." Polly mumbled as she stumped out her cig. 

Hey it's another up date i know this one is boring but there will be more interesting ones soon i promise and i would like to say a massive thank you to georgielaw for giving me some amazing ideas. Oh and don't forget your moment of silence today to all of them incredible soldiers during the first World War. Until next time - E :)