1. Beautiful

I never expected to see him again.

It's been over five years. So much has changed. And yet, something in my chest starts to beat to life the moment I recognize him stepping into the clinic. Panic seizes me in place, eyes glued to the man making his way toward me. I need to hide! That's what my mind keeps telling me, but there's no time for that. I can't just drop down beneath my desk and pretend to be searching for something until he's gone. And it's already too late to get up and run into the safety of the back room.

Nope. I'm stuck. This is going to be the first time I get to see Mike Wilkinson since college. He'd dropped out, needing a change in scenery. We'd tried to make a relationship work but something just wasn't taking. With nothing holding him back, he joined the military. From then on, it was all just rumors: he'd advanced to Sergeant, he'd been taken captive, he'd been severely wounded, he'd died in war. The list goes on and on. But now, as he saunters toward the counter with nothing but a slight limp, I realize I don't know what to believe. Because he looks fine. Finer than fine.

He looks breathtaking.

"Hi," he greets, stopping and wrapping his knuckles on the countertop softly as he glances at the wall clock behind me. "I've got a nine-thirty."

Holy smokes, he doesn't even remember me. Granted, I've died my hair brown and gained about thirty pounds, but I'm still just the same old Lindsey that he should remember. And then it hits me... he's got amnesia. That's common when in combat, right? Maybe it's not even related to physical trauma. Maybe he experienced something so horrific that his brain had no choice but to turn off his memories.

For a moment I'm stunned. I don't know whether to play it off as if we don't know each other or if I should remind him that we were once a thing. I lift a smile upward, ready to put on my acting face when I find him watching me. His eyes are careful, analyzing my features with unquestionable recognition. He knows.

"Lindsey?"

I nod sheepishly. "Yeah, it's me. Hey."

I stand and round the reception desk, encouraged by the smile on his face. My arms wrap around his torso, shocked by the feel of him in my arms again. He feels like a foreigner. Every muscle and curve I'd memorized during our brief dating period in college has been replaced with steel and stone. Well, that's what it feels like. Good grief, they seriously work these guys solid in the military.

"Good to see you again, Mike," I say, pulling away and resting my hip on the desk. Maybe if I pose casually, he'll believe that I'm as calm as a sedated sloth. In reality, every nerve has been roused to life, alert and aware of all things concerning Mike... even the small scar hidden below his left ear.

"Geez, it's been ages," he says, crossing his arms over his chest and encouraging every muscle in his face to act the part of genuinely interested.

I know better, though, and it's not because I'm some phenomenal body language expert. It's because I work for a psychiatrist and I've learned that anyone who walks through that door is hurting and it's much deeper than physical pain. It's in their mind and it's bad enough that they've taken to seeking professional help. It's strange to imagine Mike ever reaching such a low. He was always goofy and fun, but now, it's not real. His smile isn't real. At least, from what I can tell it's not.

"How've you been?" I ask, and then instantly want to smack myself in the face. Way to be a completely insensitive, moron.

"Just getting adjusted," he answers, avoiding the deeper response he could have given for my thoughtless question. "I got back two days ago and living with the parents again has its challenges."